Custody of five suspected terrorists extendedOctober 16th, 2008 - 7:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 16 (IANS) A city court Thursday extended the police custody of five suspected terrorists accused of carrying out the serial bombings here Sep 13 that claimed 26 lives and left 124 injured.Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Sanjeev Jain extended the custody of all the five suspected terrorists for 12 days.
“The investigating agency is required to collect evidence and find out the truth about different dimensions in the matter. Fair investigation is the mandate of law. Keeping in view the dynamics of the case and factual matrix, the police custody remand is absolutely necessary,” the CMM said while extending the custody.
The court sent Mohammed Saif, Zeeshan Ahmad, Mohammed Shakeel, Zia-ur-Rehman and Saquib Nissar to police custody till Oct 27.
Earlier, Additional Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan sought the police custody of the five accused in a case related to the blasts registered with Connaught Place police station.
He said their custody was required to investigate whether the blast at Connaught Place was part of a larger conspiracy or whether it was a different terror plan.
Defence counsel opposed the police remand plea, saying the accused had already faced custodial interrogation for 26 days.