Currying for a cause, British styleAugust 22nd, 2008 - 12:41 pm ICT by IANS
Leicester, Aug 22 (IANS) A young lady is all set to hang out her tongue and go curry tasting for charity.Gemma Hull aims to eat 60 spicy Indian dishes in less than 24 hours to set a world record. The 23-year-old will go on a tour of Indian restaurants in the Midlands to achieve the feat and raise hundreds of pounds for the Oxfam charity.
The D-Day for the sales analyst is Aug 28. She will start at Flamingo Bar and Grill in Leicester. Cuisine of India, Memsaab, Shimla Pinks, Sayonara and Curry Pot are the other stops in the town.
She will then move by train to Coventry, Birmingham, Wolverhampton and Stoke-on-Trent. Some of the restaurants will stay open until the early hours to allow her to achieve her goal. She will finish at the Taj Mahal in Stoke-on-Trent on Aug 29.
“I absolutely love curry,” she said. “Chicken jalfrezi is my favourite, but I like to have something different each time,” she told Leicester Mercury.
The competition is the brainchild of Fox’s Confectionery, the company Gemma joined after completing her Business Studies degree at Nottingham Trent University.
She said finishing the task would be very hard to stomach. To meet the deadline she’ll need to eat at a restaurant every 25 minutes.
“I’ll try to have as many main dishes as I can, but there will be some places where I’ll just order poppadoms and things like onion bhajis and aloo saag because I’ll be too stuffed.”
The XXX Mints 24-hour challenge has been done once before, when an entrant ate at more than 58 curry houses in the time-scale. If Gemma beats that total, organisers have pledged to enter the feat into the Guinness Book of Records.
- Marathon runner claimed $72,000 as 'disability' benefits! - Oct 18, 2011
- British woman convicted for 229th time - Jun 28, 2011
- Shilpa Shetty to launch healthy Indian food range to honour Jade Goody - Aug 20, 2009
- 103-year-old UK woman puts her longevity down to her single status - Feb 22, 2011
- Brit siblings have tattoos using ink mixed with grandfather's ashes - Mar 23, 2011
- Mumbai, a city that never stops eating! - May 21, 2012
- Cruise enjoys chicken tikka - Aug 23, 2012
- Indian chef makes curry that helps people sleep - Aug 09, 2012
- Dubai sets world record by making largest doner kebab - Aug 28, 2011
- Brit tot named after curry house after spicy dish triggers his birth - Oct 01, 2010
- People throng food courts at Delhi's Trade Fair - Nov 26, 2010
- UK convicts Muslim minister of rape, sexual acts - Feb 02, 2011
- Now showing, the Return of Shilpa's Poppadoms - Sep 01, 2009
- Squatter kicked out of Ann Curry's NY home - Aug 17, 2011
- Pranab avoided going to school, says elder sister - Jul 22, 2012