Curfew relaxed for nine hours in MoradabadAugust 13th, 2011 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
Moradabad, Aug 13 (IANS) Curfew in various parts of Uttar Pradesh’s Moradabad city was Saturday relaxed for nine hours for the first time since it was clamped Aug 9 following a communal clash that left 13 people injured, police said.
“With normalcy returning to the city, we decided to further relax the curfew from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. in all trouble-hit areas coming under the six police stations. Vehicles were also permitted to run on the roads during the stipulated time,” Superintendent of Police (City) Piyush Srivastava told reporters in Moradabad, some 300 km from Lucknow.
“Senior police and district administration officials are maintaining a regular vigil in the trouble-hit areas. We are also taking help of social organisations for restoring peace and tranquility in the city,” he added.
Curfew was imposed in the areas under Nagphani, Galshaheed, Kotwali, Majhola, Katghar and Mughalpura areas late Tuesday after violence broke out in Dasarai locality following heated arguments between some Kanwariyas (Lord Shiva’s devotees) and local Muslims.
Members from both communities Tuesday resorted to firing, stone-pelting and fought pitched battles with police. A police outpost in Aslatpur area and several vehicles were also set on fire.
According to police, around 50 people from both the communities have been arrested till now for their alleged involvement in violence.
- Curfew further relaxed in Moradabad - Aug 12, 2011
- Moradabad curfew to be relaxed for 16 hours - Aug 16, 2011
- No curfew for 18 hours in Moradabad now - Aug 18, 2011
- Curfew on in Moradabad, no fresh violence - Aug 11, 2011
- Curfew lifted from Uttar Pradesh city - Aug 21, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in Moradabad (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- 50 held for Uttar Pradesh communal clash - Aug 10, 2011
- Curfew partially lifted in Bareilly - Jul 25, 2012
- One killed in Bareilly violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Bareilly violence kills one, curfew on - Jul 23, 2012
- Curfew continues in old Hyderabad - Apr 09, 2012
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Curfew relaxed for four hours in parts of Srinagar - Sep 18, 2010
- Curfew relaxed in Bareilly - Mar 16, 2010
- Curfew in parts of Bareilly after communal violence - Aug 17, 2010
Tags: administration officials, clash, devotees, district administration, locality, lord shiva, moradabad city, muslims, normalcy, peace and tranquility, pitched battles, piyush, police outpost, police stations, social organisations, srivastava, superintendent, uttar pradesh, vigil, violence