Curfew on in riot-hit Bareilly, 200 arrestedAugust 13th, 2012 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 13 (IANS) Curfew continued for a second consecutive day in Bareilly city in Uttar Pradesh Monday even as police said the situation following communal violence was under control.
The administration imposed curfew in Quila, Prem Nagar, Baradari and Kotwali areas Sunday after clashes between Hindus and Muslims owing to the use of loudspeakers during a Janmashtami procession.
After a brief verbal spat, the two sides pelted stones at each other, and attacked and vandalized government property.
All schools and colleges, officials said, will remain closed till further orders.
A total of 205 people have been arrested for breaching curfew, Inspector General of Police Badri Prasad Singh told IANS.
Cases have been lodged against 48 people for rioting, obstructing government work and violence, he added.
A large number of Provincial Armed Constabulary and Rapid Action Force personnel has been deployed in the curfew bound areas.
This is the second time violence has broken out in the district, the last being on July 22. Four policemen have been suspended for alleged dereliction in duty.
- One killed in Bareilly violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Curfew partially lifted in Bareilly - Jul 25, 2012
- Curfew relaxed for 14 hours in Bareilly - Mar 18, 2010
- Curfew relaxed for 11 hours in Bareilly - Mar 17, 2010
- 50 held for Uttar Pradesh communal clash - Aug 10, 2011
- Curfew relaxed for 11 hours in Bareilly (Lead) - Mar 17, 2010
- Curfew relaxed in Bareilly - Mar 16, 2010
- Lok Sabha adjourned over Bareilly violence - Mar 15, 2010
- Bareilly remains tense after 12 days of curfew - Mar 13, 2010
- Curfew on in Moradabad, no fresh violence - Aug 11, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in Bareilly - Mar 04, 2010
- Curfew further relaxed in Moradabad - Aug 12, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in Bareilly, situation turning normal - Mar 15, 2010
- Curfew relaxed in Moradabad (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Mathura communal clashes kill one (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: badri, bareilly, city in uttar pradesh, clashes, colleges, communal violence, constabulary, dereliction, government property, government work, hindus and muslims, inspector general, loudspeakers, policemen, prasad, prem, procession, rapid action, riot, second time