Curfew lifted in Srinagar, tight security on I-DayAugust 15th, 2008 - 9:11 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Aug 15 (IANS) An uneasy calm prevailed Friday even as authorities in Jammu and Kashmir lifted curfew here to enable people participate in the Independence Day celebrations, while tight security was in place to prevent any untoward incidents. “We have lifted curfew in Srinagar so that people can participate in the Independence Day celebrations,” a top official told IANS.
“We don’t want to leave anything to chance,” said the official, adding that police, paramilitary and army personnel have been deployed in strength around the Bakshi Stadium, the venue for the Independence Day celebrations here.
The high-security venue has been sealed off and sharpshooters have taken positions atop government buildings and residential houses around the stadium.
Leaders of the separatist Hurriyat Conference have urged the people to stay away from the official Independence Day function.
“A social boycott would be imposed on the people who attend the function,” a Hurriyat Conference spokesman said.
More than 40 people have died in two months of furious protests in the Muslim-dominated Kashmir valley and Hindu-majority Jammu region following a row over the transfer of land to the Amarnath shrine board.
- Security beefed up in Srinagar - Aug 13, 2012
- Heavy security in Kashmir ahead of I-Day - Aug 13, 2011
- Tight security in Srinagar ahead of R-Day - Jan 25, 2010
- Rights abusers will be punished: Omar Abdullah - Aug 15, 2011
- Fear of tomorrow never dies in Kashmir - Sep 02, 2010
- Kashmir valley misses its hustle-bustle on 64th Independence Day - Aug 15, 2010
- Incident free I-Day, Kashmir governor calls for peace - Aug 15, 2008
- Chinks in Mirwaiz-led Hurriyat Conference? - May 07, 2012
- Omar asks separatists to abjure violence (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Main R-Day parade passes off peacefully in Srinagar - Jan 26, 2012
- BJP activists, separatists held on peaceful R-Day in Kashmir (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Life relaxed in Kashmir Valley ahead of R-Day (With Images) - Jan 24, 2012
- Republic Day peaceful in Kashmir; separatist, BJP marches foiled (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Normalcy returns to Srinagar - but only for a day - Sep 29, 2010
- Nation celebrates 64th Independence Day - Aug 15, 2010