Curfew lifted in Kashmir valleyOctober 7th, 2008 - 11:29 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Oct 7(IANS) The curfew that was imposed in the Kashmir valley to foil a rally by separatists was lifted from all the 10 districts Tuesday.Officials said the decision to lift the curfew, which had been imposed since 5 a.m. Sunday, was taken after a high level security meeting late Monday since the day had passed off peacefully.
The separatist Hurriyat Conference had planned a sit-in in the city centre Lal Chowk Monday, but the protest was foiled with the huge deployment of security forces and sealing of entry and exit points in Srinagar.
“The situation remained peaceful throughout the valley Monday and no incident of violence was reported from anywhere. Therefore the authorities decided to lift the curfew,” a police officer told IANS.
- Republic Day peaceful in Kashmir; separatist, BJP marches foiled (Second Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- BJP activists, separatists held on peaceful R-Day in Kashmir (Lead) - Jan 26, 2011
- Protests erupt in Srinagar after Eid prayers - Sep 11, 2010
- Curfew imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley - Aug 30, 2010
- No curfew in Srinagar despite separatist shutdown - Oct 10, 2010
- Rumours of Quran desecration in US fuel Kashmir protests - Sep 13, 2010
- Street protests, violence after Eid prayers in Kashmir (Lead) - Sep 11, 2010
- More protests erupt in Kashmir, another youth killed (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Traffic jams mark day of normalcy in Srinagar - Oct 20, 2010
- Kashmir gets two-day breather from shutdowns - Oct 28, 2010
- Curfew, shutdown cripple life in Kashmir Valley - Aug 16, 2010
- Kashmir Valley under curfew, restrictions - Jul 05, 2010
- Curfew in Srinagar to scuttle separatist march - Oct 21, 2010
- BJP protesters being removed, may be detained (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- Another day of clashes and curfew in Kashmir - Aug 18, 2010