Curfew lifted in Kashmir valley, normal life resumes (Lead)October 7th, 2008 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Oct 7 (IANS) Life bounced back to normal in the Kashmir valley Tuesday after two days as authorities lifted the curfew restrictions imposed Sunday to thwart a proposed rally by separatists.Shops, educational institutions, banks, government offices, business establishments started functioning normally and traffic resumed in the state’s summer capital Srinagar as the curfew restrictions were lifted.
“We have removed curfew from all the 10 districts of the valley at dawn today,” B. Srinivas, inspector general of police (Kashmir Zone), told IANS.
“There will be no curfew restrictions anywhere in the valley. The decision to remove curfew was taken to provide relief to the people who cooperated fully with the administration during the time,” Srinivas said.
According to reports reaching here from the other nine districts of the valley, markets, educational institutions, government offices and banks as well as traffic had started functioning normally there too.
Authorities had imposed curfew across the valley Sunday to prevent the proposed separatist march to city centre Lal Chowk in Srinagar Monday.
Meanwhile, a three-member election commission team headed by Chief Election Commissioner N. Gopalaswami is to visit Jammu and Kashmir later Tuesday to assess the situation for holding assembly elections due towards the end of the year.
The joint coordination committee of both the separatist Hurriyat groups is meeting here Wednesday to chalk out their future “resistance programme”.
- Free of shutdowns and curfew, Valley returns to normal - Nov 09, 2010
- Curfew imposed in parts of Kashmir Valley - Aug 30, 2010
- Kashmir gets two-day breather from shutdowns - Oct 28, 2010
- Life normal for another day in Srinagar - Oct 11, 2010
- No separatist shutdown, but selective curfew in Srinagar - Oct 29, 2010
- No curfew in Srinagar despite separatist shutdown - Sep 04, 2010
- No curfew in Srinagar despite protest shutdown - Oct 07, 2010
- Curfew imposed to foil separatist march in Kashmir - Oct 22, 2010
- Kashmir separatists withdraw shutdown call on Diwali - Nov 02, 2010
- No curfew in Srinagar despite separatist shutdown - Oct 10, 2010
- Fear of tomorrow never dies in Kashmir - Sep 02, 2010
- Curfew, separatist shutdown cripple life in Kashmir - Aug 25, 2010
- Normalcy returns for a day in Srinagar - Sep 03, 2010
- Separatists call shutdown, but no curfew in Srinagar - Oct 13, 2010
- Life returns to normal for a day in Kashmir Valley - Aug 27, 2010