Curfew in Indore, two more killed in clashes (Lead)July 5th, 2008 - 12:38 am ICT by IANS
Indore, July 4 (IANS) Tension escalated in this Madhya Pradesh city Friday and a blanket curfew was imposed after two more people were killed in the day’s clashes, taking the toll in the violence related to the Amarnath shrine land row to seven. “Indefinite curfew has been imposed in the entire city in the afternoon following widespread violence that also forced the police to open fire and lob tear-gas shells on rioters at several places,” a police official said.
On Thursday, four people were killed as the shutdown called by the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) took a communal turn, prompting the administration to clamp curfew in four police station areas.
But there was no let-up in violence Friday with the tension spreading in the afternoon. Prohibitory orders - restricting gathering of more than four persons at a place - were already in force.
Trouble started in Malharganj area where two groups pelted stones at each other and the police. Security personnel had to open fire to quell the mobs.
More than 100 people were arrested as police launched search operations in sensitive areas.
“As many as 125 people have been taken into custody since Thursday’s violence and more police forces have been deployed to take control of the situation,” said Indore Inspector General Anil Kumar.
District Magistrate Rakesh Choudhry described the situation as “tense but under control”. He said the decision to relax the curfew would only be taken after taking stock of the situation in the morning.
The Jammu and Kashmir government Tuesday formally cancelled the land allotment to the Amarnath shrine board that manages the pilgrimage to the high altitude shrine dedicated to Lord Shiva. The decision polarised not just the state with violence in Hindu majority Jammu but led to a ripple effect in other parts of the country as well.
- Curfew imposed in old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 08, 2012
- Curfew-bound Indore tense but under control - Jul 05, 2008
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Indore limps back to normal, curfew relaxed in some parts (Lead) - Jul 05, 2008
- Amarnath yatra begins peacefully amid turmoil in Kashmir (Roundup) - Jul 01, 2010
- Curfew imposed in old Hyderabad - Apr 08, 2012
- Tension in Assam's Bodo areas as four bodies found, curfew imposed - Aug 05, 2012
- Srinagar old city restrictions enter third day - Jun 28, 2012
- Amarnath yatra begins peacefully, curfew extended across Valley (Intro Roundup) - Jul 02, 2010
- Ahead of Amarnath pilgrimage, Kashmir secures routes - Jun 06, 2011
- Curfew in entire Indore as communal clashes spread - Jul 04, 2008
- Kashmir violence: Omar Abdullah to chair security meet today - Aug 14, 2010
- Andhra town tense after communal violence (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Curfew-bound Kashmir towns 'peaceful but tense' (Roundup) - Jun 30, 2010