Curfew imposed in Meerut after violenceJune 17th, 2009 - 1:00 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 17 (IANS) Curfew has been clamped in parts of Uttar Pradesh’s Meerut district after two groups clashed and indulged in arson and vandalism, leaving nearly 20 people injured, police said Wednesday.
A verbal dispute between shopkeepers and a group of Muslim protestors snowballed into a violent clash late Tuesday in Lisari Gate area of Meerut, about 350 km from here.
“We have arrested six people in connection with the clash. Some shopkeepers allegedly manhandled the driver of a tractor-trolley carrying the Muslim protestors. The driver was allegedly trying to park the vehicle in a prohibited area close to a railway crossing,” Superintendent of Police (Meerut City) Rakesh Jolly told IANS on phone from Meerut.
The violence soon spread to other localities, including Ghantaghar, Pir Tiraha and Bhumia Pul, where angry mobs targeted buses and police vehicles. At least six police motorcycles were set ablaze.
In order to disperse the angry mob, the police along with Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) and Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel resorted to lobbing tear gas shells and baton charging the vandals.
The 20 people injured in the violence include six policemen.
“The injured are undergoing treatment. No one is in a critical condition,” said Jolly.
Following the violence, a curfew was clamped on the area and a large number of policemen were deployed.
“The situation is still tense but under control. A curfew has been imposed in various localities coming under Kotwali, Delhi Gate, Brahmapuri and Lisari Gate police stations,” said Jolly.
- 10 arrested for Meerut violence (Lead) - Jun 17, 2009
- Curfew relaxed in Meerut, no fresh clashes (Lead) - Jun 18, 2009
- Meerut still tense, curfew relaxed for three hours - Jun 18, 2009
- Meerut tense after violence, curfew inposed (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2009
- One killed in Bareilly violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Mathura communal clashes kill one (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Curfew on in Moradabad, no fresh violence - Aug 11, 2011
- No curfew for 18 hours in Moradabad now - Aug 18, 2011
- Curfew further relaxed in Moradabad - Aug 12, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in violence-hit Ghaziabad area - Sep 17, 2012
- Curfew imposed in Andhra town - Mar 30, 2012
- Thousands defy government, march for Telangana - Mar 10, 2011
- Kashmir violence: Four killed, curfew imposed - Sep 07, 2010
- Curfew imposed in Dhanbad after clash during anti-encroachment drive - Apr 28, 2011
- Moradabad curfew to be relaxed for 16 hours - Aug 16, 2011