Curfew imposed in Jammu, army called outAugust 31st, 2008 - 9:03 am ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 31 (IANS) The authorities in Jammu and Kashmir imposed curfew and called out army all over the Jammu region early Sunday anticipating a terrorist strike at the rally planned by Shri Amarnath Sangharsh Samiti later in the day.”There are terrorists around and we have to flush them out,” said a senior police official who added that two militants were sighted in Raipur-Domana area on the outskirts of Jammu, close to Chinore where three terrorists had killed seven people before being killed by the army Wednesday.
Senior Superintendent of Police Manohar Singh had told newsmen late Saturday that a man had reported seeing two militants in Sagh Talab in Raipur-Domana area.
The curfew was announced immediately after an agreement was signed between Amarnath Sangharsh Samiti and Jammu and Kashmir government after night-long talks to resolve the Amarnath land row. The government has agreed to give exclusive control of the land to Shri Amarnmath Shrine Board.
The Sangharsh Samiti convenor despite an appeal by the Government to postpone the rally, declared, “We will go ahead with the rally.”
This move could have created a serious security situation, the police officer said.
The authorities are anticipating trouble at the rally as people are to come from all over the region to take part in the “Maha Rally”, which is now to be converted into “victory rally” after the restoration of land to the shrine board.
- Jammu happy, Kashmir upset at shrine land row accord (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2008
- Ahead of Amarnath pilgrimage, Kashmir secures routes - Jun 06, 2011
- India's Kashmir policy faulty: ex-governor Sinha - Sep 21, 2012
- PDP to hold first major public meet in Jammu - Mar 11, 2011
- Amarnath samiti calls Jammu bandh Saturday - Jul 02, 2010
- Hostile weather halts Amarnath yatra; army, IAF on alert - Jul 08, 2011
- Last leg of Amarnath yatra - chhari mubarak leaves Srinagar - Aug 08, 2011
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Preparations for Amarnath pilgrimage begin - May 01, 2011
- Five detained for locking Kashmir House in Delhi - May 18, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra: 300 Hindu activists detained in Jammu - Jun 03, 2012
- Annual Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 02, 2012
- BJP raps government on Amarnath Yatra decision - May 16, 2012
- SC sets up panel to study Amarnath deaths - Jul 20, 2012