Curfew imposed in Andhra townMarch 30th, 2012 - 10:29 am ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 30 (IANS) Communal violence broke out in Sangareddy town of Andhra Pradesh, forcing the police to clamp indefinite curfew.
Twenty people were injured and several shops were set afire in the large scale violence late Thursday night in Sangareddy town of Medak district, about 70 km from here.
The police Friday said the situation was peaceful but tense. A police officer said patrolling has been intensified in the sensitive areas and the curfew was continuing as a precautionary measure.
The violence broke out Thursday night when a youth allegedly posted on Facebook a provocative photograph of a place of worship. Even as a group of people was staging a protest outside police station demanding his arrest, a mob started attacks on shops and vehicles at Old Bus Stand.
The rampaging mob set afire 40 shops, two four-wheelers and four auto rickshaws. It also looted several other shops and small road-side kiosks. A police vehicle was also torched.
The looting and attacks continued till 1 a.m. Locals alleged that the police remained mute spectator.
As many as 20 people including few policemen were also injured in the stone pelting by two groups.
Police had called additional forces from other parts of the district. As a precautionary measure, security had been tightened in other towns and districts.
- Andhra town tense after communal violence (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Mathura communal clashes kill one (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- One killed in Bareilly violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Curfew partially lifted in Bareilly - Jul 25, 2012
- Mathura tense, two dead - Jun 02, 2012
- Telangana shutdown hits life in region (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Curfew lifted from Uttar Pradesh city - Aug 21, 2011
- Two teenagers, six others killed in Kashmir violence (Third Lead) - Aug 01, 2010
- Moradabad curfew to be relaxed for 16 hours - Aug 16, 2011
- Bareilly violence kills one, curfew on - Jul 23, 2012
- Two dead, curfew in riot-hit Mathura district (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 02, 2012
- Toll in Kashmir goes up to 14, central cabinet discusses situation (Night Lead) - Aug 02, 2010
- Curfew in Srinagar to prevent separatist march - Aug 28, 2010
- Air services to Srinagar suspended for three days - Sep 14, 2010
Tags: communal violence, four wheelers, large scale, locals, measure security, mob, photograph, place of worship, police officer, police station, police vehicle, policemen, precautionary measure, protest, sensitive areas, spectator, thursday night