Curfew further relaxed in MeghalayaMay 11th, 2012 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, May 11 (IANS) With the situation in its riot-hit areas limping to normalcy, authorities in Meghalaya Friday further relaxed curfew in the plains of West Garo Hills district bordering Assam’s Dhubri district.
The curfew was relaxed for 10 hours, from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
“The situation is limping back to normalcy. Therefore, we decided to lift the curfew for another six hours to ensure people could buy essential commodities,” West Garo Hills Deputy Commissioner Pravin Bakshi told IANS.
He said further relaxation would be done after assessing the law and order situation.
Chief Minister Mukul Sangma appealed to all sections of society to maintain peace and harmony and not to believe in rumour mongers.
The district administration has stepped up security and is engaged in meetings with people.
“Peace meetings have been organised at places where there have been misunderstandings and to restore normalcy,” Bakshi said.
Curfew was imposed in Phulbari, Rajabala, Bhaitbari, Singhimari and other adjoining areas Tuesday night to foil communal clashes between tribal Garos and Muslims after some people circulated text messages with a communal flavour.
- Curfew relaxed in Meghalaya district - May 10, 2012
- Curfew relaxed for 12 hours in Meghalaya - May 13, 2012
- Curfew lifted in Meghalaya - May 31, 2012
- Curfew further relaxed in Meghalaya - Jan 08, 2011
- Situation improving in Meghalaya's riot-hit areas: Minister (Lead) - Jan 08, 2011
- Curfew re-imposed in Meghalaya's riot-hit areas - Jan 09, 2011
- Day curfew lifted in Meghalaya's riot-hit areas - Jan 14, 2011
- Curfew continues in Meghalaya areas, BSF stages flag march (Night Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Meghalaya announces compensation for riot victims - Jan 12, 2011
- Four killed in Meghalaya ethnic clash, army called in (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Meghalaya proposes joint patrols in riot-hit areas (Lead) - Jan 07, 2011
- Curfew continues in Meghalaya areas, situation tense (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Meghalaya curfew relaxed - Jan 05, 2011
- Curfew imposed in Meghalaya - May 09, 2012
- Curfew lifted in Meghalaya's riot-hit areas - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: assam, bakshi, chief minister, communal clashes, deputy commissioner, district administration, flavour, garo hills district, garos, law and order, misunderstandings, normalcy, peace and harmony, pravin, rumour mongers, shillong, six hours, text messages, west garo hills, west garo hills district