Cultural events planned during Commonwealth GamesAugust 28th, 2008 - 8:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 28 (IANS) The Delhi government, apparently drawing inspiration from the colourful ceremonies at the Beijing Olympics 2008, is making plans for a series of cultural events during the Commonwealth Games 2010. “The government is chalking out a plan to organise cultural evenings during the Commonwealth Games,” said Chief minister Sheila Dikshit after a meeting of officials Thursday.
The meeting was attended by Commonwealth Games special advisor R. Narainswami, chief minister’s principal secretary P.K. Tripathi, education secretary Reena Ray and eminent personalities in the field of dance, culture, music and theatre.
Several Delhi government officials had visited Beijing during the 2008 Olympic games for studying preparations.
The programmes would be organised at different venues in the capital during the Games in October 2010.
“There would be main cultural events on opening and closing days. The city government would organise cultural evenings comprising of dance, music, folk and modern music, screening of films and puppet shows for visitors and players at different venues in the capital,” said a Delhi government spokesman.
The chief minister requested eminent cultural personalities to prepare a list of venues and details of programmes to be organised.
“The various venues discussed include Nehru Park, Connaught Place central park, Red Fort, Old Fort, Firoz Shah Kotla, Ravindra Bhawan, Humayun’s tomb, Safdarjang tomb, India Gate and the Games village,” the spokesman added.
“It was also considered that food courts could be organised to present cuisines of Delhi. The government would also consider illuminating historical buildings and other monuments. The government wants to showcase India’s cultural diversity and Delhi’s composite culture,” he further said.
- Delhi to go festive during Commonwealth Games - Jan 05, 2010
- London 2012 on time and within budget - Jun 14, 2012
- Germany grants Rs.96 lakh for heritage site restoration - Apr 13, 2011
- Why is Humayun's tomb on Obama's itinerary? - Nov 06, 2010
- British Big Dance week announced to celebrate Olympics - May 15, 2012
- Showcasing the ancient in modern Delhi for Games visitors - Aug 26, 2010
- Tourism ministry to help illuminate 20 Delhi monuments during Games - Apr 13, 2010
- Delhi's hop-on, hop-off buses a big hit among Congress workers - Dec 20, 2010
- CWG venues fast becoming white elephants (Year after CWG) - Sep 30, 2011
- Germany grants Rs.96 lakh for heritage site restoration (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Delhi dressed up to receive the world - Sep 28, 2010
- 4,000 people to take part in London 2012 test event - Apr 24, 2012
- Delhi's monuments will be lit by solar energy - Sep 17, 2012
- Introducing children to Humayun's tomb - Nov 14, 2011
- Coca Cola partners with Delhi for CWG culture gala - Sep 24, 2010