Cuban foreign minister to visit RussiaNovember 6th, 2008 - 7:15 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Nov 6 (RIA Novosti) Cuban Foreign Minister Felipe Perez Roque will pay an official visit to Russia Nov 8-12 to discuss bilateral cooperation, a Russian diplomat said Thursday. “Russia has always supported the normalization of the situation around Cuba and its full reintegration into regional and global processes,” Russian foreign ministry spokesman Andrei Nesterenko said.
The upcoming talks between Roque and his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov will focus on comparing approaches to urgent global problems and challenges.
“Cuba is traditionally a friendly state to Russia, and one of its priority partners in the Latin American region,” the spokesman said.
According to Nesterenko, Moscow and Havana are interested in developing effective bilateral cooperation in fighting drug trafficking, contraband weapons, and organized crime.
In terms of bilateral economic ties, the Russian diplomat stressed the importance of diversifying trade and seeking new forms of cooperation in energy and transportation.
The Russian government announced Thursday it had approved a state loan to Cuba of up to $335 million to buy Russian goods and services.
In 2007, trade between Russia and Cuba totalled about $300 million.
- Russia has no plans of military base in Cuba - Jul 29, 2012
- Krishna to visit Cuba to further ties - Jun 12, 2012
- Cuba, Russia reiterate strategic nature of their ties - Feb 12, 2010
- Relations with Cuba at critical stage: Russia - Nov 12, 2008
- Russia, China want fairer global economy: Lavrov - Jun 03, 2012
- Putin begins state visit to China (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Russia says it'll rebuild ties with old ally Cuba (Lead) - Nov 12, 2008
- India wants to cooperate with Cuba in energy, telecom - Jul 14, 2012
- Castro's China visit to help speed up Cuban economy (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Mexican firm eyeing Cuba offshore oil projects - Apr 13, 2012
- Russian President to arrive in New Delhi on Tuesday morning - Dec 20, 2010
- Russia disagrees with West on Syrian crisis solutions: Lavrov - Sep 01, 2012
- India-Russia ties a model for diplomacy: Krishna - Apr 13, 2012
- Russia backs India for SCO member - Nov 17, 2011
- Vladimir Putin begins China visit - Jun 05, 2012