Cuban boxers leave Beijing without gold but upbeatAugust 24th, 2008 - 7:01 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 24 (DPA) Cuban boxers failed to win a gold medal at an Olympics for the first time in 20 years Sunday, when Carlos Banteaux Suarez lost 18-9 in his welterweight final bout against Kazakhstan’s Bakhyt Sarsekbayev.Earlier, Yankiel Leon Alarcon was outclassed by Badar-Uugan Enkhbat of Mongolia in his bantamweight fight while flyweight Andris Laffita Hernandez and middleweight Emilio Correa Bayeaux lost out in their Saturday finals.
Cuban boxers won five gold medals 2004 in Athens, four each in the previous Olympics in Sydney and Atlanta and seven at Barcelona in 1992, but boycotted the 1988 and 1984 Games.
The poor showing is further evidence that defections are seriously hampering the Communist nation’s boxing team. In the past two years, Cuba has lost five gold-medal winners from its 2004 Athens Olympics team as well as a 2005 World Championship. Four defected are boxing professionally, one was punished for attempting to flee, and another retired.
However, head coach Pedro Roque said the lack of a gold medal was a cyclical thing and his fighters failed due to a lack of experience.
“They came here with no experience and they’ve won eight medals. No gold I know, but nobody was expecting more than one or two medals from us,” he said.
“When boxers like (triple Olympic champion) Teofilo Stevenson used to fight for Cuba, it was completely different because they had a lot of experience in international competitions,” said Roque
- Three Indian boxers go down in World Cup semi-final (Lead) - Dec 13, 2008
- Cuban boxing great Teofilo Stevenson dies - Jun 12, 2012
- Cuban boxing legend's home to become museum - Jul 13, 2012
- Boxing gold for Enkhbat and Zou - Aug 24, 2008
- President's Cup: Boxer Devendro loses final to settle for silver - May 07, 2012
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Indian sports trainers get Cuban exposure (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
- Indian boxers settle for bronze in World Cup - Dec 14, 2008
- Olympics: Indian boxer Jai Bhagwan starts campaign against Allisop - Jul 28, 2012
- Cuba achieves historic performance in Paralympics - Sep 10, 2012
- India looking for more Cuban coaches - Nov 24, 2010
- Olympic boxing: Ireland's Conlan, Russia's Aloian take bronze - Aug 11, 2012
- Boxing team sure of medals at Commonwealth Youth Games - Sep 07, 2011
- Top Indian boxers head to Cuba for Olympics' preparation - May 22, 2011
- Moldovan outwits Akhil to the medal (Second Lead) - Aug 18, 2008