Cuban-Americans challenge travel restrictionsMarch 7th, 2008 - 8:50 pm ICT by admin
Washington, March 7 (IANS) Four US citizens of Cuban origin have filed a lawsuit in Vermont against the US government’s restriction on travel to the communist-ruled island, arguing it violates their civil rights, EFE news agency reported Friday. Prior to 2004, the Cuban-Americans were allowed to travel to the island country to visit their relatives annually without having to wait for the government’s nod.
However, President George W. Bush toughened the rules in 2004, restricting their trips to just once in three years. Only immediate family members are allowed to travel.
Jared Carter and Yurisleidis Mora filed the lawsuit after the newly-weds were denied permission to travel to Cuba, where they had hoped to have a second wedding ceremony.
“The Supreme Court in numerous cases upheld the right to family privacy and familial relations,” said Carter, a law student, who is representing himself in the case.
Also joining in the lawsuit were Armando Vilaseca and Maricel Keniston, who were denied permission to visit their relatives in that country.
Vilaseca, a Cuban-American who has been living in the US since 1963, wants to visit his terminally ill relative. “This particular rule is unfair,” he said.
- US issues new rules for travel to Cuba - Apr 22, 2011
- US moves to ease travel insufficient: Cuba - Sep 17, 2009
- US confirms immigration talks with Cuba - Feb 18, 2010
- Obama working to ease US-Cuba travel restrictions - Jan 15, 2011
- House approves easing US restrictions on Cuba travel - Feb 26, 2009
- Fidel Castro blames Obama, tourists for swine flu in Cuba - Nov 01, 2009
- Raul Castro's daughter launches blog - Dec 23, 2011
- Cuba frees two political prisoners - Oct 21, 2009
- Cuban-American lawmakers criticise Obama's US-Cuba travel restriction plans - Jan 16, 2011
- First cargo ship arrives in Havana from Miami in 50 years - Jul 14, 2012
- Obama interacts with Cuban blogger - Nov 20, 2009
- Castro believes Obama wants to improve ties with Cuba - Apr 09, 2009
- Obama's policies losing virginity: Fidel Castro - Feb 07, 2009
- Cuba, Russia reiterate strategic nature of their ties - Feb 12, 2010
- Cuban, US scientists seek to cooperate - Dec 14, 2011