Cuba to give flu shots to over 600,000 peopleNovember 20th, 2011 - 1:01 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, Nov 20 (IANS/EFE) Cuba will kick off a vaccination campaign against the flu Monday that will treat more than 600,000 people susceptible to respiratory ailments.
The official daily Granma said Saturday that seasonal flu shots will be administered by the public health system with a single injectable dose that will provide protection against the pandemic respiratory virus H1N1, the seasonal H3N2 virus and the influenza B virus.
The campaign will continue until Dec 21 with flu shots available to Cubans over age 85 - some 160,000 people - and also to vulnerable members of the population at any age.
The programme will provide vaccinations for people in homes for the elderly and the disabled, in psychiatric hospitals and those suffering critical heart, kidney, liver and blood conditions, among others.
The immunisation campaign will also treat asthmatics and diabetics between the ages of 15 and 24, pregnant women, workers on livestock and poultry farms, and medical personnel treating seriously ill patients, working in labs or providing respiration services.
Granma warned that between October and March the island typically has “a rising number of acute respiratory ailments” of a “seasonal nature”, and adds that among them it is basically the influenza virus that constitutes the greatest health problem.
- Why H1N1 increased mortality in healthy kids? - Nov 07, 2011
- Millions of birds dead, killed in Mexico flu outbreak - Jul 26, 2012
- Flu shots ensure birth of healthy babies - Feb 22, 2012
- 81 Mexicans die of swine flu - Feb 12, 2012
- 12 mn Brazilians vaccinated for flu - May 09, 2011
- Mexico to vaccinate 1 mn chickens against bird flu - Jul 11, 2012
- Brazilian president gets flu vaccination - Apr 26, 2011
- Maternal influenza vaccination linked to flu protection in infants - Oct 05, 2010
- Mexico bird-flu outbreak costs economy $50 mn - Jul 13, 2012
- H1N1 pandemic flu strain 'key to universal vaccine' - Jan 11, 2011
- Nasal spray flu vaccine one step closer - Feb 18, 2011
- Swine flu deaths rise to 133 in Brazil - Jul 25, 2012
- 'No mutation of swine flu virus' - Apr 11, 2012
- Swine flu claims 10 victims in Britain - Dec 13, 2010
- Effective antibodies against flu strains identified - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: asthmatics, blood conditions, cubans, flu shots, granma, greatest health, h3n2 virus, ill patients, immunisation campaign, influenza b virus, influenza virus, poultry farms, psychiatric hospitals, public health system, respiratory ailments, respiratory virus, seasonal nature, vaccination campaign, vulnerable members, women workers