Cuba develops mathematical models to fight dengueMarch 24th, 2012 - 1:11 pm ICT by IANS
Havana, March 24 (IANS) Cuba has developed mathematical models to help fight dengue, a media report said Friday.
Experts from Havana’s Pedro Kouri Tropical Medicine Institute developed the models.
Spearheaded by young scientist Lizet Sanchez for Cuba’s national health system, the models allow health officials to analyze outbreaks in real time so they can devise the best strategy to combat the disease, according to official daily Juventud Rebelde.
Sanchez has also designed a mathematical model to study the distribution of the dengue-carrying mosquito, Aedes Aegypti, and calculate the risk factors and assess the control mechanisms required in different regions and sectors of the population, reported Xinhua.
While Cuba is a leader in containing the spread of dengue, its epidemiological studies have so far been based only on descriptive statistics that could not be used to immediately devise combat strategies.
Dengue is not endemic to Cuba, but it is considered a serious scourge in Latin America, where more than one million people were infected in 2010 alone.
- Brazil to breed mosquitoes to fight dengue - Jul 09, 2012
- Delay in checking dengue in Bengal, says governor - Sep 11, 2012
- Dengue fever grips Pakistani province - Sep 04, 2011
- 'Travel, urbanisation have led to 50-fold rise in dengue cases' - Sep 17, 2012
- Lahore dengue toll rises to 127 - Oct 02, 2011
- Over 1,200 now down with dengue in Bengal - Sep 10, 2012
- 10 dead, over 2,000 hit by dengue in Pakistan - Sep 09, 2011
- Malaysia release of GM insects 'may create uncontrollable new species' - Jan 27, 2011
- Cuban parents give kids unique names - May 07, 2012
- Coming soon: A trap to trick pregnant mosquitoes! - Dec 26, 2010
- Honduras declares emergency due to dengue - Jun 23, 2010
- WHO experts warn of yellow fever virus hitting India, S.E. Asia - Mar 23, 2011
- Lahore dengue toll reaches 110 - Oct 01, 2011
- Over 1,000 now down with dengue in Bengal - Sep 08, 2012
- "Mamatadidi MBBS" tackles dengue (West Bengal newsletter) - Sep 08, 2012
Tags: combat strategies, control mechanisms, descriptive statistics, different regions, epidemiological studies, havana, health officials, juventud rebelde, latin america, mathematical model, mathematical models, medicine institute, mosquito, national health system, pedro kouri, risk factors, scourge, tropical medicine, xinhua, young scientist