CSIR plans research varsity to address faculty shortageAugust 21st, 2008 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) is planning to set up a research university to address the faculty shortages that India’s leading engineering and technology institutes face.CSIR director general Samir Brahmachari said Thursday the University Grants Commission (UGC) is evaluating the proposal.
“It’s in the process,” he said during a panel discussion on engineering education at the Observer Research Foundation (ORF) here.
The leading scientist said India produces too few research scholars and by setting up a niche university, they will be able to produce quality faculty.
Since CSIR is a science innovation institution with laboratories across the country, it cannot award degrees but by setting up a varsity, it would ensure quality education and award degrees.
Suggesting an integrated approach to improve India’s higher education standards, Brahmachari stressed on the need for reducing unemployability among engineering graduates.
V.S. Ramamurthy, chairman of Board of Directors of IIT-Delhi, emphasised the need for creating employment opportunities for postgraduates and holders of doctorates.
“The problem in India is that students get only degrees and no skills,” he remarked.
Delhi College of Engineering director P.B. Sharma said merely increasing colleges would not solve the problem of not-so-good engineering education.
Experts said that the need of the hour is creation of a National Faculty Programme to make available qualified and committed faculty.
All the experts at the panel discussion agreed that there was need to provide more autonomy to higher education institutions. They said too much government interference would be counter-productive for the higher education sector.
- 'Invest in research, technology for future of IITs' - Apr 16, 2012
- CSIR chief suggests creation of a research university - Aug 21, 2008
- CSIR to build India's first innovation complex - Sep 07, 2012
- CSIR seeks industry's help for India's first innovation complex (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Seven things to look at before you walk into a college (Comment) - Jun 19, 2011
- CSIR, a jewel in India's crown: FICCI - Nov 12, 2010
- What ails the IITs (Comment) - Oct 25, 2011
- Government hopeful of passing important education bills - Apr 22, 2012
- Real estate lobby to help fund education in the sector - Aug 16, 2012
- Bill to set up AcSIR introduced in Lok Sabha - Jul 30, 2010
- Indian students in Canada more than double in a year - Jun 15, 2011
- India signs loan agreements worth $300 mn with World Bank - Jul 14, 2010
- New guidelines to bar animal dissection in varsities - Nov 23, 2011
- Spend more on higher education: Parliamentary panel to government - May 09, 2012
- India, US to broaden knowledge partnership (Lead) - Oct 14, 2011