Crucial five day Kerala CPI-M party meeting starts SundayJune 16th, 2012 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 16 (IANS) The five-day meet of the Kerala unit of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) starts here Sunday.
Five politburo members, including party general secretary Prakash Karat, will take part in the meeting.
Several internal issues, three murder cases where the party is facing the heat and the two by-election losses are some of the issues that will dominate the meet.
“Yes, of course. All issues that have attracted media attention in the recent past will come up before the state secretariat which will meet the first two days and then the state committee will meet for the next three days,” said a top party official who did not want to be identified.
Among the most serious issues that would be taken up would be the brutal murder of former party colleague T.P. Chandrasekheran that took place May 4 near Kozhikode. More than a dozen of the arrested in the case are closely associated with the CPI-M.
In another murder case, the Kannur district secretary and former CPI-M legislator P. Jayarajan has already been questioned once and the police have decided to call him again.
The stand off between state secretary Pinarayi Vijayan and V.S. Achuthanandan, which has reached a flash point, is another issue that has been bogging the party for long. Achuthanandan, after the murder of Chandrasekheran had slammed Vijayan and remarked that he would meet the fate of S.A. Dange (the once iconic Indian communist who was later thrown out of the party).
After Friday’s result of the Neyattinakara assembly by-election — where R. Selvaraj, a two-time CPI-M legislator who in March resigned as legislator and quit the party, later joined the Congress and won the polls, former Finance Minister and senior CPI-M legislator Thomas Issac openly admitted that issues in their party have to be resolved.
“We will certainly introspect on what’s happening in the party with an open mind in the light of the recent happenings,” said Issac.
- Congress wins Kerala bypoll (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Achuthanandan versus Vijayan - and CPI-M? (Kerala Newsletter) - May 13, 2012
- Neyattinkara by-poll crucial for Kerala parties (Kerala Newsletter) - May 19, 2012
- CPI-M on back foot as Kerala assembly session starts Monday (Letter from Kerala) - Jun 10, 2012
- Achuthanandan visits home of murdered Marxist - Jun 02, 2012
- Achuthanandan too wants CBI to probe former colleague's murder - Sep 06, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M in tight spot over murder probe - Sep 09, 2012
- Achuthanandan all set to defy party, go to Kudankulam - Sep 10, 2012
- Vijayan will meet Dange's fate: Achuthanandan - May 12, 2012
- About 80 percent turnout in Kerala bypoll (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Tension within the ranks haunt UDF and LDF too (Kerala Newsletter) - Aug 17, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M leader held for murder, party calls shutdown (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- CPI-M not involved in former leader's murder: Achuthanandan - May 07, 2012
- Kerala CPI-M legislator resigns - Mar 09, 2012
- Communists in Kerala squabble like never before (Kerala Newsletter) - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: brutal murder, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, dange, district secretary, election losses, finance minister, kannur district, legislator, murder case, murder cases, pinarayi vijayan, politburo, prakash karat, state committee, state secretariat, state secretary, thiruvananthapuram, v s achuthanandan