CRPF woman constable shoots herself dead (Lead)May 13th, 2012 - 8:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 13 (IANS) A 27-year-old Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) woman constable shot herself with her service gun in the wee hours Sunday in west Delhi, police said, adding that they were verifying if it was a suicide or an accidental death.
Shiuli Patra, a resident of West Bengal’s 24 Parganas district, shot herself around 3.45 a.m. inside CRPF’s 88 Battalion camp at Sector-8 in Dwarka area.
“Police were informed about the incident around 5.30 a.m. She was rushed to a nearby hospital where she was declared dead. The reason behind her extreme step is yet to be ascertained as no suicide note was recovered from the spot,” a police officer said.
The bullet hit her in the chest. “It is yet to be ascertain whether it is an accidental death or suicide. It is too early to say anything before the post-mortem report, which is awaited,” the officer said.
Patra’s family members have been informed about the incident.
“Patra was posted with CRPF’s 135 Battalion based in west Delhi’s Vikaspuri. On April 7, she along with some other women constables moved to the 88 Battalion where she was assigned a duty from 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. on the watch tower,” CRPF spokesperson Bhuvan Chand Khanduri told IANS.
She had joined 135 battalion as a constable in 2009.
A CRPF official, who did not wish to be named, told IANS that on CRPF’s deputy inspector general’s order a group of women constables were sent to 88 Battalion for training ahead of a band competition.
“All these women constables had to go to Gurgaon for training,” said the official.
- CRPF woman constable kills herself - May 13, 2012
- Woman dies after jumping before Metro train (Lead) - Dec 15, 2011
- Woman commits suicide at Delhi Metro station (Second Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Guard at Bansal's house shoots himself accidentally - Aug 23, 2011
- Woman critical after jumping off Delhi flyover - Aug 01, 2012
- Meghalaya policeman commits suicide in Delhi - Jan 13, 2010
- CRPF constable shoots self in Srinagar - Jun 14, 2012
- Police constable shot dead by colleague - May 07, 2012
- Police instructor suspended for forcing constables to drink urine (Second lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Delhi Police constable found dead inside water tank - May 03, 2012
- Woman commits suicide at Delhi metro station - Jun 04, 2012
- Militants kill two CRPF personnel in Baramulla - Nov 10, 2010
- Six CRPF men killed by inebriated colleague in Jharkhand - Jul 17, 2010
- BSF trooper shot dead by senior in Kashmir - Dec 30, 2011
- Teenager commits suicide - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: accidental death, band competition, battalion, constables, crpf, delhi police, deputy inspector general, extreme step, group of women, nearby hospital, police force, post mortem report, reserve police, spokesperson, suicide note, watch tower, wee hours, west bengal, west delhi, woman constable