CRPF forming spy wing to counter MaoistsApril 11th, 2011 - 3:37 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, April 11 (IANS) The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) is in the final stage of forming its own intelligence wing to effectively deal with Maoists and separatist outfits, a top official said Monday.
“(This will have) very professional personnel and officers to curb the activities of leftwing extremism and other anti-national forces,” CRPF director general K. Vijay Kumar told reporters.
“Some specially trained officials are being incorporated in the bureau.”
The CRPF has 218 battalions, including 10 CoBRA (Commando Battalions for Resolute Action) battalions, deployed across the country.
“If the situation dictates, we will raise more CoBRA, RAF (Rapid Action Force) and women battalions,” said Kumar, a Tamil Nadu cadre Indian Police Service (IPS) officer.
According to him, currently 60 CRPF battalions have been deployed in the Maoist zones.
Kumar, who has worked with the Border Security Force (BSF) in Jammu and Kashmir for two years, said: “The overall situation in Jammu and Kashmir is now under control and the CRPF has been working there with the state police.”
- Orissa to double strength of anti-Maoist force - Jan 16, 2011
- Elite force to tackle Meghalaya rebels - Jul 10, 2011
- CRPF to have own intelligence wing: Director General - Apr 11, 2011
- Garo rebels demand withdrawal of central forces - Aug 04, 2011
- Meghalaya rebels set conditions for releasing official - Nov 23, 2011
- Gunfight in which Kishenji died genuine: CRPF - Nov 25, 2011
- Top Maoist Kishanji killed in West Bengal (Night Lead) - Nov 24, 2011
- Meghalaya mulls chopper use to fight rebels - Jul 31, 2011
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast - Aug 07, 2012
- No trace of kidnapped official in Meghalaya - Nov 28, 2011
- Meghalaya rebels set conditions for releasing official (Lead) - Nov 24, 2011
- Meghalaya on alert after rebel threat - Jul 17, 2011
- Police commando killed, rebel camp busted in Meghalaya - Jul 24, 2012
- Will not withdraw forces from Garo Hills: Sangma - Dec 06, 2011
- Meghalaya takes precautionary steps after bomb threat - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: battalions, border security force, bsf, cobra commando, crpf, indian police service, intelligence wing, ips officer, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, maoist, maoists, police force, professional personnel, raf, rapid action, reserve police, state police, tamil nadu, vijay kumar