CRPF ex-cop sentenced to death for killing sevenApril 30th, 2012 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, April 30 (IANS) A former Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) constable was Monday sentenced to death in Andhra Pradesh for killing seven people, including his two children.
Nearly one-and-half years after K. Shankar Rao went on rampage butchering seven people in Metapatla village in Srikakulam district of north coastal Andhra, about 750 km from here, the city’s district court sentenced him to death.
Rao was dismissed from service in 2009 after he was sentenced to seven years’ jail in dowry death case of his wife Vijayalakshmi, who had committed suicide in 2005.
Rao, who was then on bail, returned to the village and went on rampage on the night of Dec 1, 2010, targeting the witnesses in the case. Rao beheaded with a sword his son Diwakar (6) and daughter Manisha (5) while they were asleep.
He then wore the CRPF uniform and chased every witness, hacking to death five persons, including three women. According to police, he attacked the victims with a sword, a sickle and two knives.
The former constable even threw crude bombs to terrorise the villagers. He escaped after the mayhem but police later managed to arrest him.
The villagers of Metapatla hailed the district court verdict and said Rao deserved the capital punishment.
Rao, who was present in the court when judge sentenced him to death, said he would file an appeal in the high court against the sentence. He was later shifted to the Rajahmundry Central Jail.
- Ex-CRPF trooper goes berserk, kills seven in Andhra (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- Ex-CRPF trooper goes berserk, kills seven in Andhra - Dec 01, 2010
- Serial killer found murdered in Andhra - May 16, 2010
- Three killed in protests against power plant in Andhra (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Six CRPF men killed by inebriated colleague in Jharkhand - Jul 17, 2010
- Andhra police question CRPF men for rape - Nov 15, 2011
- Suspected Maoists kill two tribal youth in Andhra - Nov 27, 2011
- Prisoner dies while trying to escape from jail - Mar 23, 2010
- CRPF orders inquiry into 'killing spree' in Jharkhand camp - Jul 17, 2010
- Former Kerala cop gets life term for Maoist's murder - Oct 28, 2010
- Mercy plea rejected, Assam killer set to be hanged - May 29, 2011
- Ten injured in Andhra agrochemical plant fire - Jun 30, 2012
- Andhra youth gets life for killing girl's parents (Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Another man dies of rabies in Andhra - May 19, 2011
- Ex-judge, suspended judge's son arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: capital punishment, central jail, constable, cop, court verdict, crpf, crude bombs, death case, dowry death, half years, knives, mayhem, police force, rampage, rao, reserve police, seven years, shankar, three women, vijayalakshmi