CRPF denies any involvement, statement on Kashmir youth’s deathAugust 1st, 2012 - 12:46 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, July 31 (IANS) Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) officials here Tuesday labelled as “uncalled for and mischievous” a media report quoting one of its officers on the death of a youth in the south Kashmir town of Shopian while denying any involvement in the incident.
A local water tanker operator, Aquib Ahmad Bhat, died in Shopian town late Monday evening and his relatives and residents alleged the paramilitary force was involved, despite police saying the youth died in an accident.
“CRPF is not involved in the youth’s death in any manner and we want to set the record straight that nobody in the force had anything to do with the unfortunate death of the youth,” CRPF PRO Sudhir Kumar told IANS.
Speaking to IANS, CRPF Inspector General B.N. Ramesh said: “A media report attributing a quote to some CRPF officer posted in Shopian town regarding the death of a youth is uncalled for and mischievous.
“Nobody has spoken to the media about the incident on behalf of the CRPF as only the IG and the PRO of the force are authorised to speak to the media.”
There were protests in the town as Bhat’s father and other residents alleged he had been beaten by the CRPF troopers resulting in his death. Police said the death was due to an vehicle accident.
Police in Shopian asked the people to remain vigilant against rumourmongers as the youth’s death occurred as he was crushed under his vehicle after he went under it to check some mechanical defect and the jack, on which the vehicle had been raised, slipped. Bhat succumbed to his injuries while being shifted to Srinagar for treatment.
- More protests erupt in Kashmir, another youth killed (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Three die in Kashmir violence, toll now 73 (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- One killed, 11 injured in Kashmir road mishap - Mar 15, 2011
- 25 including 11 cops wounded in fresh Kashmir violence (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
- 11 killed as violence spreads across Kashmir (Third Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Curfew, clashes and shutdown hit Kashmir Valley again (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- CRPF personnel pedal away in Kashmir - Jul 24, 2012
- Youth killed as mob defies curfew in Kashmir town (Lead) - Jun 28, 2010
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Two dead as mobs run amok in Sopore, Baramulla, Srinagar (Intro Roundup) - Jun 28, 2010
- Two killed in Kashmir protests (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2010
- Rage, as fresh killings rock Kashmir Valley (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2010
- Another teenager dies in Srinagar, toll 45 (Lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Two killed in Kashmir firing, toll rises to 57 (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Five injured in Kashmir firing, interlocutors visit Shopian (Roundup) - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: ahmad, bhat, crpf, ig, inspector general, kashmir, paramilitary force, police force, protests, ramesh, relatives, reserve police, south kashmir, sudhir kumar, unfortunate death, vehicle accident, water tanker