Crocodile attends papal audienceJanuary 12th, 2012 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Vatican City, Jan 12 (IANS/AKI) Pope Benedict XVI Wednesday addressed around 7,000 faithful - and a crocodile.
To commemorate the Rome zoo’s 100th anniversary, staff members attended the pope’s general indoor audience in Vatican City and brought along a rare baby Cuban crocodile to represent the zoological park’s animals.
Benedict March 26-28 will make the second-ever papal visit to Cuba where he is due to conduct two open-air masses.
The crocodile, about 20 centimetres long, was recently turned over to the police after it was discovered in Rome. The zoo believes it may have been discarded after being smuggled into Italy by a vacationer returning from a holiday visit to Cuba. Around the same time as the papal visit, the reptile is due to be returned to home where it will be released into the wild.
The Cuban crocodile, which is classified as an endangered species, has seen its numbers fall by 80 percent in recent years, and it currently survives only in a small area of the island, the Vatican said in a statement.
- Eliminate death penalty, says Pope - Dec 01, 2011
- Pope turns 85 - Apr 16, 2012
- Vatican loans Cuba historic artefact - Jan 28, 2012
- Pope can't cook, says brother - Apr 04, 2012
- Pope greets Queen Elizabeth - Jun 06, 2012
- 2.5 mn gathered in Rome to see pope in 2011 - Jan 04, 2012
- Media has tarnished Vatican's image: Pope - May 31, 2012
- Vatican condemns China-sponsored ordination - Nov 25, 2010
- Muslims, Catholics hold inter-faith meet in Vatican - Jul 12, 2012
- Vatican releases Papal book - Nov 24, 2010
- Pope prays for victims of New Zealand quake - Feb 24, 2011
- Hague court asked to prosecute Pope over sex abuse - Sep 14, 2011
- Pope urges G-20 to resolve economic crisis - Nov 03, 2011
- Galileo documents to be shown for first time - Jul 06, 2011
- Pope John Paul II's blood to go on display - Apr 27, 2011
Tags: 100th anniversary, 20 centimetres, air masses, aki, benedict xvi, crocodile, cuban crocodile, endangered species, holiday visit, papal audience, papal visit, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, reptile, rome zoo, staff members, vacationer, vatican, vatican city, zoological park