Croatia, Hungary and Bulgaria recognize KosovoMarch 19th, 2008 - 7:58 pm ICT by admin
Zagreb, March 19 (DPA) Serbia’s neighbours Croatia, Hungary and Bulgaria jointly said that they are recognizing Kosovo Wednesday, a month after the province declared independence from Belgrade. The decision will be formally announced later in the day by all three countries, the governments of the three said.
“The declaration of independence of Kosovo came after the failure of all the efforts of the international community to find a negotiated solution between Belgrade and Pristina on the status of Kosovo,” a joint statement said.
“In these circumstances the change of the unsustainable status quo was unavoidable,” said the declaration, posted on the Croatian government’s website.
Hungary, a European Union (EU) member since 2004, Bulgaria, which joined in 2007 and Croatia, which hopes to join in 2009, said they were basing their decision to recognize Kosovo on EU policies.
“The decision … is based on thorough consideration and on the conclusions adopted by the Council of the EU,” the document said.
The move is a hard blow to Belgrade’s diplomacy, which tried to discourage as many states as it can from establishing ties with what it calls a “false state on Serbian soil.”
Leading Western nations have recognized Kosovo, which declared independence Feb 17, earlier. Russia is backing Belgrade in its claim of sovereignty over what it considers its heartland province.
Belgrade has pulled home for consultations its ambassadors in each of the countries that has recognized Kosovo.
- Kosovo secession legal, rules International Court of Justice - Jul 23, 2010
- Russia calls on EU, NATO over military actions in Kosovo north - Aug 10, 2011
- Russia warns against training Syrian rebels in Kosovo - May 15, 2012
- Serbia finds 250 Albanians in mass grave - May 10, 2010
- Exhumation of alleged mass grave begins in Kosovo - Sep 02, 2010
- Kosovo President Sejdiu resigns after violating constitution - Sep 28, 2010
- Serbia arrests 10 for 1999 Kosovo killings - Dec 27, 2008
- India not to recognize Kosovo - Aug 09, 2010
- Croatian police clash with protesters - Feb 27, 2011
- Serbian state TV website hacked - Jul 03, 2010
- EU welcomes establishment of new government in Kosovo - Feb 24, 2011
- Bill Clinton honoured by grateful Kosovo - Nov 02, 2009
- Europe's most wanted war crimes fugitive Mladic held (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Ban's Kosovo plan angers both Belgrade and Pristina - Jun 14, 2008
- Kosovo passes new constitution amid uncertainty over its future - Jun 16, 2008