Critically ill man dies in curfew-bound Madhya Pradesh townOctober 15th, 2008 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Oct 15 (IANS) A critically-ill man in Madhya Pradesh’s curfew-bound Burhanpur town died for want of treatment Wednesday, police said.”A resident of Shikarpura locality, Mohammad Rafique, was critically ill for the past few days and was undergoing treatment at his home. His condition deteriorated this morning and he died as he could not be taken to hospital in time due to imposition of curfew,” one of his family members said.
The communal tension in the town, over 300 km from here, began Thursday night when some people pelted stones at a religious procession passing through the Gandhi Chowk area. The violence that followed has claimed nine lives and left 30 people injured. Over three dozen shops and half a dozen houses were also torched in different areas of the town.
The town has been under curfew since then with short relaxations only for women and children to purchase essential commodities.
“Curfew was relaxed Wednesday also for two hours from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. for women only and no untoward incident was reported,” said District Collector Caroline K. Deshmukh.
“Another two-hour relaxation is from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. for women, she added.
Senior Congress leader Aslam Sher Khan has, meanwhile, alleged that the communal violence in Burhanpur was the result of a conspiracy hatched by the state government and the local administration.
Khan was deputed by the state Congress president Suresh Pachouri to visit Burhanpur and assess the situation there.
“The conspiracy appears to have been hatched with an eye on the coming assembly elections since the ruling BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) wants to polarise communities along religious lines there,” Khan said.
- Curfew relaxed for 12 hours in Meghalaya - May 13, 2012
- Situation peaceful in riot-hit Hyderabad, curfew continues (Lead) - Mar 31, 2010
- Curfew continues in riot-hit old Hyderabad - Apr 10, 2012
- Curfew relaxation gives relief to people in riot-hit Hyderabad - Apr 03, 2010
- Uneasy calm in Hyderabad as curfew continues - Mar 31, 2010
- Toll in Hyderabad rises to two, curfew in more areas - Mar 31, 2010
- Curfew relaxed in Meghalaya district - May 10, 2012
- Curfew to be relaxed Saturday in riot-hit Madhya Pradesh town - Oct 17, 2008
- Curfew relaxed in Madhya Pradesh town - Oct 20, 2008
- Friday prayers pass off peacefully in riot-hit Hyderabad (Lead) - Apr 02, 2010
- People clash with police, dozen injured in Kashmir town - Mar 15, 2012
- Situation peaceful in Hyderabad as curfew relaxed (Lead) - Apr 01, 2010
- Curfew relaxed in parts of Srinagar - Sep 22, 2010
- Seven killed in air ambulance crash near Delhi (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- Curfew relaxed in Moradabad (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011