Cristiano Ronaldo clashes with Emmanuel PogatetzDecember 30th, 2008 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 30 (IANS) Cristiano Ronaldo’s temperament is under fresh scrutiny after he was involved in a half-time tunnel row with Emanuel Pogatetz during Manchester United’s 1-0 win over Middlesbrough Monday night.The two players clashed repeatedly during the first half and seemed on the verge of blows at one stage.
Alex Ferguson, the Manchester United manager, accused Pogatetz of grabbing Ronaldo around the neck. And his counterpart Gareth Southgate admitted the row continued into the tunnel at half-time.
“It seemed as though Pogatetz grabbed him around the neck,” The Daily Telegraph quoted Ferguson as saying. “That happens in penalty boxes all the time. We’ve had referees coming to meet the players a couple of years ago and they said it would be stamped out with one warning and then a red card. But nothing ever happens.”
As the players jogged off at the break, Pogatetz pushed his forehead dangerously close to Ronaldo’s and the dispute intensified in the tunnel.
Ronaldo has also clashed with Celtic’s Scott Brown, Tottenham’s Michael Dawson and Andy Wilkinson of Stoke City in recent weeks. He also earned a red card for two bookable offences against Manchester City.
Pogatetz too has a history with United. He was sent-off in the Carling Cup tie between the sides earlier this season after a knee-high lunge on Rodrigo Possebon.
- Ronaldo struggling to control his anger over opponents kicking him - Mar 10, 2009
- Ferguson asks Ronaldo to stop retaliating - Jan 03, 2009
- Barca ace Messi's double ensures Fergie's worst Champions League nightmare - Apr 28, 2011
- City go top after beating United - May 01, 2012
- FIFA considering ban on neck-warming 'snoods' on health and safety grounds - Feb 05, 2011
- Fergie praises Giggs for shattering Chelsea's Champions League dreams - Apr 13, 2011
- Ronaldo feels Rooney can win the World Cup for England - Feb 14, 2010
- Manchester United defender Evans sidelined for two weeks - Dec 27, 2011
- 'Good substitutions' changed the game against West Ham United: Rooney - Apr 03, 2011
- City striker Balotelli faces nine-match ban - Apr 10, 2012
- Manchester United maintain lead over Liverpool - Apr 12, 2009
- United reassert authority, stretch lead to seven - Mar 05, 2009
- Man U lack 'Cristiano Ronaldo' factor: Ferguson - Apr 29, 2011
- Fergie fears injury crisis may cost Man U the trophy - Dec 20, 2009
- Manchester City top Premier League as Bolton takes emotional win - Mar 25, 2012