Criscito flies to Italy for match-fixing hearingJuly 15th, 2012 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, July 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Zenit St. Petersburg left-back Domenico Criscito flew to Rome Sunday to face match-fixing questions from the Italian football federation.
Criscito was dropped from Italy’s Euro 2012 squad after police visited him at the national team’s training base just days prior to the tournament and officially declared him a suspect in a match-fixing investigation.
The claims against the 25-year-old stem from his time at Serie A side Genoa, when he played alongside defender Giuseppe Sculli, the grandson of a notorious mafia boss, who is also implicated in the investigation.
The left-back has repeatedly claimed innocence, and said he has no link to the so-called Calcioscommesse sports betting scandal.
Criscito will appear in front of an Italian FA commission Monday as a person who has been named in the official police investigation, not as a defendant, and is free to play in the meantime.
A verdict is expected by the end of the month.
Criscito featured in Saturday’s season-opening Russian Super Cup match against Rubin Kazan, which Zenit lost 0-2, and is expected to play in the first league game of the season against Amkar Perm next Sunday.
Criscito had been Italy’s first-choice left-back since 2009 and played in all three of the country’s games at the 2010 World Cup. He has 25 caps and has yet to score for his country.
He joined Zenit in June 2011 and has since played 24 league games, scoring one goal.
- Zenit kick off title defence with Amkar win - Jul 22, 2012
- Lazio captain Mauri arrested for match-fixing - May 28, 2012
- Capello seeks Russian assistant - Jul 22, 2012
- Italy captain Buffon probed for illegal gambling - Jun 01, 2012
- Zenit thrash Spartak 5-0 - Aug 11, 2012
- Rubin beat Zenit, win Russian Super Cup - Jul 15, 2012
- Russian adventure excites Cinquini - Jul 21, 2012
- Spain always play the same way: Italy coach - Jun 10, 2012
- Euro 2012: Police raid casts shadow on Italian team's fate - Jun 03, 2012
- Russia's Akinfeev has knee problem: Advocaat - Jun 05, 2012
- Capello arrives in Moscow - Jul 21, 2012
- Minute's silence at Russian Super Cup - Jul 14, 2012
- Portugal is Russia's group nemesis - Sep 08, 2012
- Anzhi confirm Diarra signing - Sep 04, 2012
- Ex-England coach Capello spotted at Moscow airport - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: caps, defendant, euro 2012, first choice, genoa, giuseppe, innocence, italian football federation, league game, league games, mafia boss, perm, police investigation, ria novosti, rubin kazan, s games, scandal, vm, world cup, zenit st petersburg