Crime Branch probe ordered into death of Bihari youthAugust 6th, 2012 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 6 (IANS) The Kerala government Monday ordered a Crime Branch probe into the unnatural death of 34-year-old Satnam Singh Mann, who was brought dead to the Medical College hospital Saturday night from the mental hospital here.
The victim’s relatives allege that he was brutally tortured in jail.
The state government will bear the expenses of airlifting Mann’s body to his hometown in Gaya in Bihar along with the travel-cost of one person accompanying the body.
The autopsy was conducted Monday at the Government Medical College hospital here in the presence of local district authorities.
The victim’s father arrived here Monday and spoke to the police. Mann’s cousin Vimal Kishore alleged Sunday that the deceased was brutally tortured in jail. He says that when he met Mann at a police station in Kollam last week, he was wearing only his underwear and there were no marks on his body.
Mann was arrested by the police when he created a ruckus at spiritual leader Mata Amritanandamayi’s ashram near Kollam last week.
He was charged with trying to attack the Mata.
Mann was a law student and was allegedly mentally disturbed.
The local police have registered a case of unnatural death and have begun investigation.
State Home Minister T. Radhakrishnan has asked Mann’s relatives to wait for the autopsy report.
Revenue Minister Adoor Prakash — under instructions from Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, who is in Delhi — visited the Medical College hospital and paid his last respects to the departed.
The body would be airlifted to Kolkata Tuesday at 5.50 a.m.
- Brother suspects police hand in death of Bihari youth - Aug 05, 2012
- Achuthanandan for CBI probe into Bihari youth's death - Sep 19, 2012
- Two arrested for death of man from Bihar in Kerala - Aug 11, 2012
- CBI asked to probe Bihar youth's death in Kerala - Aug 07, 2012
- Bihar youth's death: Friends to seek justice - Aug 09, 2012
- Kerala government faces ire over 'murder' of Bihari youth - Aug 18, 2012
- Bihari youth's death: Kerala doctors threaten strike - Aug 27, 2012
- Kishanji murdered in police custody: Varvara Rao - Nov 25, 2011
- Warden booked for sodomising mentally disabled in Haryana - Jul 02, 2012
- Rahul set to visit disfigured Dalit girl in Kanpur hospital - Feb 07, 2011
- Bangladeshi rape victim was whipped to death, court told - Feb 10, 2011
- Indian law set in motion in Italian ship shooting: Kerala Police - Feb 16, 2012
- Prime accused in Coimbatore sibling murders shot dead - Nov 09, 2010
- Chhattisgarh Police face another charge of custodial death - Feb 20, 2012
- Three held for murder of mentally-ill woman in Bengal - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,