Crime against children rising in the countryAugust 8th, 2012 - 8:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 8 (IANS) Crimes against children, including murder, rape and kidnapping, have risen across the country over the last three years, the Rajya Sabha was informed Wednesday.
Replying to a question, Minister of State for Home Affairs Jitendra Singh said that a total of 24,201 cases of crimes against children were registered across India in 2009 and the figure rose to 26,694 in 2010 and reached 33,098 in 2011.
While 5,469 people were convicted in 2009, 6,210 were imprisoned in 2010 and the 6,643 in 2011.
Crimes against children include infanticide, abetment of suicide, procuration of minor girls, child prostitution etc., apart from murder, rape and kidnapping.
The minister said that 5,368 cases of child rape were registered across India in 2009 and the figure rose to 5,484 in 2010 and reached 7,112 in 2011.
Meanwhile, 1,236 people were convicted in 2009, 1,368 in 2010 and 1,511 in 2011 for crimes against children.
A total of 8,945 children were kidnapped in 2009 and the number increased to 10,670 in 2010 and further spiked to 15,284 in 2011. A total of 1,333 people were convicted in 2009, 1,627 the following year and 2,000 in 2011.
–Indo-Asian news Service
- India sees 7.6 percent rise in crimes against children - Jan 21, 2011
- Ghaziabad cops promise e-filing; say crime dipped in 2010 - Jan 10, 2011
- Rape cases against SC and ST women increasing - Mar 13, 2012
- South Korean president apologizes for surge in sex crimes - Aug 31, 2012
- Crimes against women rise; 25 percent of rapes in Delhi - Jan 21, 2011
- Crime up slightly, women's safety, terror top agenda: Delhi Police (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2012
- Crimes against women on the rise in Assam - Mar 26, 2012
- A million convictions in China last year - Mar 11, 2012
- Delhi witnesses four percent surge in crime - Jan 06, 2012
- Crime cases increased in 2010: Delhi Police (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
- Violence against women going down? - Aug 13, 2010
- Five accused of sex crimes slain in Venezuela prison - Jan 03, 2012
- Candlelight march against women harassment in Delhi - Feb 13, 2011
- 19 mercy petitions pending with president - Apr 26, 2012
- Man sentenced to death for raping nine in China - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: 511, abetment, asian news, child prostitution, child rape, crimes against children, home affairs, India, indo, jitendra, minister of state, minor girls, murder rape, New Delhi, news service, procuration, rajya sabha, rl, saz, suicide