Cricketer Kapil Dev now a honorary army officerSeptember 24th, 2008 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 24 (IANS) Cricketer Kapil Dev, who scripted history by leading the Indian team to victory the 1983 World Cup, was Wednesday commissioned into the Territorial Army (TA) as an honorary lieutenant colonel.Indian Army chief General Deepak Kapoor piped the badges of rank on the Haryana Hurricane’s shoulders at a ceremony at the Army Headquarters here.
“This is my second innings. Earlier I fought for the country in my white uniform. Now, I will do the same in my olive green army uniform,” Kapil said proudly.
Kapil, 50, was commissioned in the 150 TA (Infantry) battalion of the Punjab Regiment.
“I am proud I have been given this rank. It took six months for the things to materialise, with the file moving from the home ministry to the defence ministry,” said Kapil, as his wife and daughter looked on.
Kapil’s induction’s will help in attracting talent as the army is facing a major crunch in the officer cadre, an official said.
- Dhoni, Bindra join elite group as honorary Lt. Colonels - Nov 01, 2011
- Kapil Dev joins Territorial Army - Sep 25, 2008
- Dhoni attends Territorial Army Raising Day - Oct 11, 2011
- Lt Col Kapil Dev readies for combat (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Feb 20, 2009
- Dhoni to spend time with soldiers in Kashmir - Jun 01, 2012
- Kapil Dev to get his battle readiness checked - Feb 20, 2009
- Actor Mohanlal under Indian Army scanner for uniform misuse - Oct 11, 2011
- Group Captain Sachin: The cricketer in another blue and wings (Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- Dhoni accepts offer to join Indian Army - Apr 05, 2011
- Sachin Pilot to join Territorial Army - Sep 05, 2012
- Dhoni, Bindra to don olive green from Tuesday - Oct 31, 2011
- Tendulkar, Dhoni to fly in Sukhoi combat jets - Jun 30, 2011
- Malayalam superstar Mohanlal joins Territorial Army (With Image) - Jul 09, 2009
- Kargil inspired me to join Army, says superstar Mohan Lal - Jul 09, 2009
- Indo-Canadian honcho dons army fatigues (With Image) - May 21, 2011