Cricket Australia to review security situation in IndiaSeptember 14th, 2008 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
Melbourne, Sep 14 (IANS) Cricket Australia (CA) has commissioned an urgent review of the security situation in India following the serial blasts in Delhi ahead of their tour next month.Australia were due to depart Sep 21 for a four-Test series in India. The first Test is in Bangalore Oct 9 while Delhi will host the third Test starting Oct 29.
The Australian team’s security expert Reg Dickason has been asked to compile the report in conjunction with CA and the Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA).
Dickason will work with ACA and CA General Manager of Cricket Michael Brown, who will speak to the Indian cricket board, the Australian high commission in New Delhi and security agencies to gain information.
“The fundamental principle that always comes first is the safety of the team and the team officials,” CA spokesman Peter Young said. “We will seek advice from the Australian government.
“Based on this report and other inputs, we will take a decision on the tour next week or so,” he said.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) remains hopeful that the tour will continue.
“The blasts are a concern, but I don’t think it will have an impact on the Australian tour,” BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah said.
Young said that so far there was no danger for the tour to be called off.
“Well, so far the tour is on unless we get any reports, we are progressing with our plans to go ahead. There’s a standard process for every tour. Such is the way of the world these days that this process is completed before we go anywhere.”
Australia expressed safety fears ahead of the ICC Champions Trophy tournament due to be held in Pakistan this month. The tournament was eventually postponed for a year after pressure from several nations including Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.