Credit crisis forcing US insurer AIG to extreme measures: ReportSeptember 14th, 2008 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Sep 14 (DPA) US insurer AIG, suffering from a declining share price and facing a possible downgrading of its credit rating, is being forced to extreme measures, including perhaps selling off subsidiaries to extricate itself from billions of dollars in losses,the Wall Street Journal reported in its online edition Sunday.Citing an AIG insider, US business journal said AIG was considering a teleconference with analysts Monday, at which the process of restructuring would be outlined.
AIG, which has a worldwide presence in the insurance industry, has suffered a 45-percent drop in its share price over just a few weeks.
The company lost more than $18 billion dollars in the last three quarters due to enormous write-offs from the ongoing US credit crisis.
The concern in mid-June led to a change in chief executives, with new head Robert Willumstad announcing difficult cost-cutting measures and stressing that there would be “no sacred cows.”
He said he would present his plans for the future of the insurer by the end of September.
- US Treasury to receive $5.75 bn from AIG stock sale - Aug 07, 2012
- AIG pays back $1.5 bn to US Treasury - Mar 23, 2012
- AIG reports fourth quarter profits - Feb 24, 2012
- Federal Bailout Costs Slated to Reduce TARP - Oct 06, 2010
- Wall Street extends loss - May 18, 2012
- Wall Street recovers from last week's losses - Aug 16, 2011
- US Fed chief asks Congress to review AIG bailout - Jan 20, 2010
- AIG, Bank of America announce bonuses to employees - Feb 04, 2010
- AIG approves a $7 million package for CEO Robert Benmosche - Nov 26, 2009
- Eurozone agrees to bail out Spanish banks - Jun 10, 2012
- US loses 'stable' outlook from top agencies - Nov 29, 2011
- Indian insurers asked to spread wings abroad - Jul 06, 2012
- AIG sells Asian arm to Britain's Prudential insurers - Mar 01, 2010
- Fitch downgrades Spain's two major banks - Jun 12, 2012
- US stocks fall amid Greece uncertainties (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012