Crashed Philippine military plane locatedSeptember 5th, 2008 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, Sep 5 (Xinhua) Rescue operators have managed to locate the wreckage of the Philippine air force C-130 cargo plane one week after it crashed into the southern Philippine sea with 11 people on board, military sources said Friday.Citing field reports from Task Force Hercules, Navy spokesman Lt Col Edgardo Arevalo said the US navy ship John McDonnell located the wreckage 1.3 nautical miles east of Bucana village in Davao city, about 130 metres under the Davao Gulf.
The US survey ship found the fuselage at around 9.00 p.m. Thursday and the military’s primary plan is to retrieve the wreckage, particularly the “black box” to determine the cause of the crash, he said.
The C-130 plane, acquired in 1983 through an US financing programme, crashed soon after takeoff from Davao at around 8 p.m. Aug 25 on its way to pick up members of the Presidential Security Group. Eleven crew members on board are still missing.
A radio report said Friday that despite the cloudy weather, divers were preparing to get to the scene to look for the possible remains of the crew and other debris.
- Philippines interior secretary untraceable - Aug 19, 2012
- Large cargo plane carrying 9 crashes in the mountains near Kabul - Oct 12, 2010
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Large cargo plane carrying nine crashes in the mountains near Kabul - Oct 13, 2010
- India among C-130 plane operators at Lockheed meet - Oct 18, 2011
- Hundreds feared dead after Nigerian jet crashes in Lagos - Jun 04, 2012
- Seven tonnes of cocaine found in submarine - Jul 31, 2011
- Five killed in Italian military plane crash - Nov 23, 2009
- India gets hawk eye over Strait of Malacca - Jul 30, 2012
- US delivers last Super Hercules cargo plane this weekend - Dec 23, 2011
- India to get first Super Hercules airlifters next week - Dec 10, 2010
- India's first Super Hercules plane takes to the skies - Oct 06, 2010
- India's first Super Hercules plane readies for maiden flight (With Image) - Sep 23, 2010
- Heartbreak of search and rescue at Himalayan heights - Oct 19, 2011