Crackdown on chemist shops near NIS, PatialaJuly 6th, 2011 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
Patiala (Punjab), July 6 (IANS) In the aftermath of the doping scandal and reports of steroids and anabolic drugs being sold here, sleuths of the state drugs authority Wednesday conducted surprise raids at medical stores located in the vicinity of the National Institute of sports (NIS).
According to officials, the raids were conducted with the assistance of the state police and many samples of the drugs were also confiscated for laboratory checks.
“We have conducted raids at various chemist shops in Patiala, especially at shops located in the vicinity of NIS. We would continue these raids in the coming days and checks will also be conducted in other districts. There are certain shops that are under the scanner,” said a senior Punjab government official Wednesday.
“If we find any chemist selling banned anabolic drugs or objectionable steroids then criminal action will be taken against him. They are not allowed to sell these drugs without a proper prescription from a recognised doctor. We would also check the past sale records of the shops.”
Indian sports was rocked by eight athletes testing positive for banned durgs. Punjab’s star quarter-miler Mandeep Kaur was among the two athletes who returned positive in a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) test. The other six returned positive in tests conducted by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA)
Meanwhile, officials of NIS admitted that such banned drugs are easily available in stores near the complex.
“There are many shops, situated close to NIS, which are selling performance enhancing drugs. They are easily available and anybody can go and buy them. This crackdown should have happened long time back,” said a senior NIS official, requesting anonymity.
- Punjab swoops down, cancels chemists' licences after dope taint (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Doping mess: Punjab suspends drug controller - Jul 07, 2011
- NADA conducts surprise raid at NIS, Patiala (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Four NIS officials removed, NADA to test food supplements (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Anti-doping agency collects 91 samples at Bangalore camp - Jul 12, 2011
- Whistle-blower doctor assaulted at NIS-Patiala - Jul 13, 2011
- Athletics body transfers Mandeep, Juana dope cases to NADA - Jul 20, 2011
- Ukraine coach blames contaminated food supplements for doping mess (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- Mandeep blames federation for not providing team doctor - Jul 01, 2011
- India's athletes Mandeep, Juana fail dope tests, suspended (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Five athletes flunk dope tests - Jun 30, 2011
- Whistle-blower doctor assaulted at NIS-Patiala, files complaint (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- My life under threat: whistleblower doctor in doping scandal - Jul 14, 2011
- Indian runners Mandeep and Murmu suspended after failed dope test - Jun 29, 2011
- IOA demands judicial inquiry in doping scandal - Jul 01, 2011
Tags: aftermath, anonymity, checks, chemist shops, crackdown, doping scandal, government official, indian sports, kaur, long time, medical stores, performance enhancing drugs, punjab government, scanner, state police, steroids, surprise raids, vicinity, wada test, world anti doping agency