CPI-ML strike hits Bihar (Lead)May 10th, 2012 - 6:22 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 10 (IANS) Life was hit in many parts of Bihar Thursday by a day-long strike the CPI-ML called to protest the killing of a village head and the police action against those seeking a probe into it.
More than 500 Communist Party of India-Marxist Leninst activists, including general secretary Dipankar Bhattacharya, were detained for disturbing peace while they were enforcing strike, police said.
Bhattacharya led hundreds of activists in Patna, shouting slogans against Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and demanding justice for Sonhathu village head Devendra Singh alias Chhotu.
The victim was shot dead near Dhamni village in Aurangabad district April 29.
According to officials, the protesters stopped trais in Darbhanga, Ara, Gaya, Samastipur, Vaishali, Begusarai, Bhagalpur and Jehanabad districts, disrupting the services.
Police aid that CPI-ML activists blocked national highways in over a dozen districts.
In Patna, the strike evoked mixed response with shops and business establishments remaining closed in some localities, though banks and other financial institutions were open.
Most central and state government offices were deserted.
- Strike disrupts normal life in Bihar - May 10, 2012
- Strike hits normal life in parts of Bihar - May 22, 2012
- CPI-ML's anti-corruption strike affects passengers - Aug 27, 2011
- Nitish development claims non-existent: CPI-ML - Apr 29, 2012
- Bihar fears revenge attack after Ranvir Sena chief's killing - Jun 07, 2012
- Train traffic disrupted, shops closed in Bihar (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Protests in Bihar against acquittal of massacre accused - Apr 17, 2012
- CPI-ML to move apex court against massacre case acquittal - Apr 20, 2012
- Slogans, songs in Bihar jails to remember Charu Mazumdar - Jul 30, 2010
- Flood situation remains grim in Bihar - Sep 13, 2011
- Flood victim injured in police firing in Bihar - Aug 25, 2011
- Flood alert in nine districts in Bihar - Sep 11, 2011
- Mixed response to retailers' strike in Bihar - Dec 01, 2011
- Cyclonic storm kills nine people in Bihar - May 21, 2011
- Five die during Holi in Bihar - Mar 21, 2011
Tags: alias, aurangabad district, begusarai, bhagalpur, bhattacharya, business establishments, chief minister, communist party of india, CPI, dipankar, financial institutions, gaya, general secretary, jehanabad, national highways, police action, police aid, samastipur, state government offices, vaishali