`CPI-M wouldn’t have gone with BJP if Basu was in-charge’December 4th, 2008 - 10:26 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 4 (IANS) The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) would “never have gone” with the BJP and the BSP to try to topple the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government had Jyoti Basu or Harkishan Singh Surjeet been at the helm of the Marxist outfit, Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh said here Thursday.Amar Singh told reporters after meeting Basu: “Had these two leaders (Basu and Surjeet) been in the saddle, the CPI-M would have never gone with the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) and (Bahujan Samaj Party chief) Mayawati in its bid to topple the UPA government.”
“He (Basu) asked me whether we (SP) were with (Trinamool Congress chief) Mamata Banerjee. I told him if Prakash Karat goes with Mawayati, I’ve to be with Mamata,” Amar Singh said.
The SP’s relation with the CPI-M came to an end after the Marxists withdrew outside support to the UPA government over the India-US civil nuclear deal.
The SP then supported the UPA to bail out the government during the Lok Sabha trust motion.
- Akhilesh Yadav calls on Mamata Banerjee - Sep 12, 2012
- Akhilesh Yadav calls on Mamata Banerjee (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- SP to ensure next government will need its support (Roundup) - Sep 12, 2012
- Two years after death, Jyoti Basu still CPI-M mascot (Lead, correcting para nine) - Feb 19, 2012
- Two years after death, Jyoti Basu still CPI-M mascot - Feb 19, 2012
- Why the Red Fort crumbled in West Bengal (Comment) - May 16, 2011
- Township must be named after Jyoti Basu: Left - Oct 21, 2011
- CPI-M fumes at denial of site in Agartala for rally - Jan 28, 2012
- Basu's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - Jul 08, 2011
- We have sown seeds of Third Front: SP (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- CPI-M launches fundraiser for Jyoti Basu centre - Jan 17, 2011
- Mamata's historic blunder (Comment) - Jun 16, 2012
- Communist icon Jyoti Basu, who almost became India's PM, is dead (Intro Roundup) - Jan 17, 2010
- Demand for Basu's autobiography shoots up - Jan 20, 2010
- CPI-M makes light of Gujral's remark in book - Feb 23, 2011