CPI-M Tripura legislator deadMarch 10th, 2012 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, March 10 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) legislator in Tripura Sukumar Barman died here Saturday. He was 60.
“Barman was admitted to the Gobinda Ballav Pant medical college and hospital Tuesday in a critical condition following brain haemorrhage. Neuro surgeons from Kolkata and the medical college at once operated on him, but he was in coma till he breathed last Saturday evening,” Medical College doctor Pradip Bhowmik told reporters.
A popular leader of the scheduled castes community, Barman is survived by a daughter and two sons.
Elected to the state assembly five times since 1988 from the Nalchar assembly constituency in western Tripura, Barman was also the transport and fisheries minister from March 2003 to June 2004).
He was dropped from the council of ministers following its downsizing after the 91st Amendment to the Constitution, which fixed a cap on ministries at the state and the central government.
A renowned swimmer, Barman was also the chairman of the state owned land development bank and Tripura Road Transport Corporation (TRTC).
Barman’s body would be kept at the CPI-M party office to allow people pay their last respects, before being cremated Sunday afternoon at his ancestral home at western Tripura’s Kemtali, 55 km south of Agartala.
Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, and leaders of CPI-M and other political parties have mourned Barman’s death.
- Crucial assembly by-poll in Tripura Tuesday - Jun 11, 2012
- CPI-M's easy win in Tripura bypoll - Jun 15, 2012
- Record 95 percent turnout in Tripura by-poll - Jun 12, 2012
- An iconic Communist figure of Tripura dies - Jun 07, 2011
- Rejected lover sends bullets to girlfriend - Jun 05, 2011
- One killed, 175 injured as tornado hits Tripura - May 01, 2012
- President's son's visit exposes cracks in Tripura Congress - Sep 10, 2012
- Tripura Congress, CPI-M trade charges of wooing militants - Jun 27, 2012
- Tripura CPI-M to protest Bengal leaders killing - Feb 23, 2012
- Trinamool won't join hands with Congress for Tripura polls - Jun 17, 2012
- Congress faces setback in Andhra, Trinamool wins UP bypoll (Roundup) - Jun 15, 2012
- CPI-M meet on president poll Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- Forest troopers kill tribal woman - Dec 03, 2011
- Tripura CPI-M protests Bengal murders - Feb 23, 2012
- 12-hour shutdown cripples life in Tripura - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: ancestral home, barman, brain haemorrhage, castes, chief minister, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, council of ministers, CPI, critical condition, last respects, legislator, medical college, neuro surgeons, pradip, road transport, sarkar, state assembly, transport corporation, tripura