CPI-M to help formation of federal agency to combat terrorDecember 7th, 2008 - 5:34 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Dec 7 (IANS) The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) will help setting up a federal agency to counter terror, senior Left leader Brinda Karat said here Sunday. “The proposed agency should incorporate the views of terrorism affected states,” said Karat, a CPI-M politburo member.
Quoting Kerala Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan, Karat said despite repeated requests of the Kerala government, the central government was yet to strengthen the coastal security and did not provide even a small boat or vessels to guard the coastal areas.
Setting up a federal agency was one of the several measures the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government announced at an all-party meeting, convened by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last week after the Mumbai terror.
“Suitable provisions should be integrated so that there is a coordinated effort to deal with terrorism in a holistic manner,” the CPI-M leader observed.
She said the government should take urgent steps to modernise the security forces, strengthen the vigil along the country’s international borders and revamp the intelligence networks.
“The Bharatiya Janata Party and the Sangh Parivar have been trying to give a communal colour into the recent acts of terrorism in India,” Karat said.
She came here to address two public rallies - on the anniversary of the Babri mosque demolition Saturday and a conference of Anganwadi workers.
- Kerala CPI-M in tight spot over murder probe - Sep 09, 2012
- Achuthanandan not in politburo, Buddhadeb in - Apr 09, 2012
- Achuthanandan faces flak for remarks on ex-CPI-M woman leader - Mar 11, 2012
- No role to play in Achuthanandan issue, says Karat - Mar 25, 2011
- China to lead world economy by 2025: Karat - Jan 30, 2012
- CPI-M begins introspection on poll debacle (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Karat bats for Achuthanandan - Apr 10, 2012
- Karat again elected CPI-M boss (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Media creation, says Vijayan of Achuthanandan letter - May 21, 2012
- Controversy over Jesus Christ needless: Karat - Feb 07, 2012
- CPI-M names Achuthanandan, Surayakant Mishra as opposition leaders - May 16, 2011
- CPI-M getting jittery over Kerala murder probe: Congress - May 21, 2012
- CPI-M for more women members - Feb 01, 2012
- Congress has dual position on Babri, says Brinda Karat - Nov 24, 2009
- Communist movement won't fail in India: Prakash Karat - Jan 29, 2012