CPI-M suspends former party MPMay 1st, 2012 - 12:16 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 30 (IANS) Former Lok Sabha member Anil Basu, who acquired infamy for his lewd comments against Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee ahead of the West Bengal assembly polls last year, has been suspended from the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M).
The decision to place Basu, a Hooghly district strongman, under three-month suspension for indulging corruption and nepotism, was taken by the party state committee.
The decision was based on a report by a party commission in 2010.
“But as he was a state committee member then, the state committee can only recommend action against him. The final ratification has to come from the central committee,” said a CPI-M source.
Basu is the first senior leader to be suspended from the party following its drubbing in the 2011 assembly polls.
He was earlier dropped from the state committee as a part of the purification process which the CPI-M has started to weed out undesirable elements alleged to be involved in unethical practices.
In the run up to the assembly elections, Basu had called Banerjee names which led to widespread condemnation and is believed to have cost the CPI-M sizeable number of votes.
- CPI-M expels former party MP for indiscipline - Jun 11, 2012
- CPI-M lacks inner party democracy: Expelled leader - Jun 12, 2012
- Biman Bose may face suit - May 04, 2012
- Biman Bose re-elected CPI-M's Bengal state secretary - Feb 19, 2012
- Left has miles to go to regain lost ground (One year of Mamata Banerjee) - May 17, 2012
- Arrest CPI-M leader for 'obscene' comments on Mamata: Trinamool (Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Arrest CPI-M leader for 'obscene' comments on Mamata: Trinamool - Apr 23, 2011
- Mamata draws flak for observing Basu's birthday in advance - Jul 06, 2012
- CPI-M leader apologises for comments on Mamata - Apr 24, 2011
- Don't vote for CPI-M till it punishes Anil Basu: Pranab - Apr 24, 2011
- BJP criticizes CPI-M leader for using foul language against Mamata - Apr 24, 2011
- Poll panel notice to Anil Basu on comments - Apr 27, 2011
- Fourth round of Bengal polls: Spotlight on Singur, Nandigram - May 02, 2011
- CPI-M trying to create rift between Congress, Trinamool: Mamata - Jun 30, 2012
- Basu's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: assembly elections, assembly polls, central committee, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, congress chief, CPI, drubbing, hooghly district, infamy, lewd comments, lok sabha member, nepotism, sizeable number, state committee member, strongman, trinamool congress, undesirable elements, unethical practices, west bengal