CPI-M ready for alliance with Chiranjeevi’s partySeptember 3rd, 2008 - 9:20 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Sep 3 (IANS) The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Wednesday said it was ready to work with Praja Rajyam, launched recently by Telugu superstar Chiranjeevi, as the Left party leaders also held talks with Telugu Desam Party (TDP) president N. Chandrababu Naidu.Praja Rajyam spokesman P. Mitra met CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat and party politburo member Sitaram Yechuri, who were here for the party’s state committee meeting.
Mitra explained to the CPI-M leaders the agenda of the party and the issues it would focus on in the coming weeks.
Talking to newsmen after meeting Mitra, Yechuri said his party was ready to work with Praja Rajyam on people’s issues. CPI-M state secretary B.V. Raghavulu was also present.
Prakash Karat later drove to TDP chief N. Chandrababu Naidu’s house and held talks with him.
The talks were significant in the backdrop of reports of TDP and Left parties trying to forge a grand alliance against the ruling Congress party in the coming elections, scheduled to be held in March this year.
Earlier, CPI-M state committee met, with alliances for coming polls, top on the agenda.
Party sources said it discussed the latest political situation, the emergence of new parties including Praja Rajyam and possibility of a grand alliance with like-minded parties.
CPI-M and CPI along with Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) were allies of the Congress party in 2004 elections.
- Rosaiah, Chandrababu Naidu condole Basu's death - Jan 17, 2010
- TDP's Devender Goud, Ramesh file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Opposition strike hits hard Andhra Pradesh (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Chandrababu among many arrested in Hyderabad - Jul 05, 2010
- Karat seeks TDP support in protest over Bengal violence - Jun 13, 2011
- Congress, TDP hail Janardhana Reddy's arrest - Sep 05, 2011
- Chandrababu Naidu's indefinite fast enters third day - Dec 19, 2010
- Chiranjeevi, Renuka, four others file papers for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Protests in Andhra over petrol price hike - May 15, 2011
- Naidu continues fast, all-party meet fails to break impasse (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010
- Congress announces Andhra candidates for Rajya Sabha - Mar 19, 2012
- Chandrababu's son gearing up for major role in TDP - Sep 12, 2012
- Opposition parties vow to carry on struggle for Andhra farmers (Lead) - Dec 30, 2010
- Presidential poll: Jayalalithaa garners support for Sangma - May 20, 2012
- Rebel TDP legislators begin fast for unity on Telangana - Jul 03, 2011