CPI-M politburo member Pinarayi Vijayan asked to appear in courtDecember 19th, 2011 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Dec 19 (IANS) Kerala state secretary of the Communist Party of India-Marxist Pinarayi Vijayan, the seventh accused in the Rs.374 crore SNC Lavalin scam and currently on bail, was asked Monday to appear before the special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court here in April next year.
The court, while accepting a re-investigation report by the CBI, asked Vijayan and the other accused to appear before it on April 10. The probe agency has exonerated senior Congress leader and present speaker of the Kerala assembly G. Karthikeyan in the case.
In June 2009, the CBI filed charge sheets against nine accused in the Rs.374 crore scam related to the company SNC Lavalin.
Vijayan, as the state power minister, had inked the final agreement in 1997 for renovating three power plants in the state which, according to the accountant general, was a failed project.
The other accused in the case include six former officials of the Kerala State Electricity Board (KSEB); Canada based SNC Lavalin and Claus Trendl, former vice-president of SNC Lavalin.
The CBI court Monday directed that summons be issued to the Canadian company and also ordered an arrest warrant to be issued against Trendl who, according to the court, was the main conspirator in the flawed deal.
It was Karthikeyan who had signed the MoU with Lavalin company and Vijayan took it forward and inked the contract with the Canadian company. The CBI found that Karthikeyan had no role in the actual implementation of the renovation project of the three power plants.
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- Make Kerala home minister accused in Lavalin case: Petition - May 05, 2011
- Pinarayi Vijayan gets bail in SNC Lavalin graft case - Dec 30, 2009
- Vijayan skips court, counsel wants Antony examined - Sep 24, 2009
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- SNC Lavalin scam: Court refuses to include Antony as witness - Jan 04, 2010
- Reprieve for Vijayan in SNC Lavalin case - Apr 17, 2010
- Antony not to be witness in Lavalin graft case: court - Jan 04, 2010
- CBI questions former Kerala minister in power firm scam - Sep 20, 2009
- Kerala editor held for article on Gulf-based businessman - Jul 03, 2010
- CBI asks Pinarayi Vijayan to appear in court Sept 24 - Aug 21, 2009
- Pinarayi Vijayan re-elected to top Kerala CPI-M post - Feb 10, 2012
- Congress calls for shutdown in Kerala over Pinarayi clean chit - May 06, 2009
- CPI-M's Pinarayi Vijayan gets a clean chit in SNC Lavalin case - May 06, 2009
- Supreme Court issues notices to CBI, Kerala Govt on Vijayan case - Aug 31, 2009
Tags: accountant general, arrest warrant, cbi court, central bureau of investigation, charge sheets, communist party of india, congress leader, crore, former vice president, investigation report, karthikeyan, kerala assembly, kseb, politburo member, power minister, power plants, renovation project, snc lavalin, state electricity board, state secretary