CPI-M fumes at denial of site in Agartala for rallyJanuary 28th, 2012 - 7:21 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Jan 28 (IANS) Tripura’s ruling Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Saturday hit out at the union home ministry for its refusal to let them hold a party rally at the Assam Rifles ground here, terming its reasons as “false excuses”.
The proposed rally, to be addressed by CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat, Tripura Chief Minister and politburo member Manik Sarkar, and central committee members Bijon Dhar and Aghore Debbarma, will now be held at another ground Sunday.
“Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram, in a letter to CPI-M politburo member Sitaram Yechury, said the Assam Rifles ground has never been used to hold public gatherings. Hence, the CPI-M public rally has been disallowed,” CPI-M leader Gautam Das told reporters quoting Chidambaram’s letter.
“The home minister’s claim is totally false, impermissible and unparliamentary act. Fomer prime ministers Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi, and H.D. Devegowda, communist leaders Jyoti Basu, E.M.S. Namboodiripad and H.S. Surjeet had addressed several rallies in this ground.”
“Chidambaram, in his letter, gave another bogus information saying that there are other 13 grounds in the capital city bigger than Assam Rifles ground,” said Das, also the editor of CPI-M mouthpiece “Daily Desher Katha”.
The CPI-M had sought permission of the union home ministry to hold a big public rally at the Assam Rifles ground here Sunday.
The public gathering with the assembly of 80,000 people across the Left-ruled state was planned ahead of the CPI-M’s four-day state conference beginning Sunday.
- Out of politburo, Achuthanandan is miffed - Apr 09, 2012
- CPI-M for more women members - Feb 01, 2012
- Left rout will affect democratic movement: CPI-M - May 13, 2011
- Record 95 percent turnout in Tripura by-poll - Jun 12, 2012
- Communist movement won't fail in India: Prakash Karat - Jan 29, 2012
- China to lead world economy by 2025: Karat - Jan 30, 2012
- Tripura also opposes anti-terror hub - Feb 18, 2012
- CPI-M expels 570 cadres in Tripura - Jan 15, 2012
- CPI-M leader's speech impermissible, but all to be blamed: Bardhan - Apr 24, 2011
- Kishenji calls for defeating CPI-M candidates - Sep 07, 2010
- Manik Sarkar to attend chief ministers' meet - Apr 15, 2012
- I will give befitting reply to Chidambaram's letter: Buddhadeb - Dec 27, 2010
- US deploying forces in Indian Ocean to take on China: Yechury - Sep 01, 2012
- CPI-M's easy win in Tripura bypoll - Jun 15, 2012
- Be good, clean humans, Manik Sarkar urges Left cadres - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: agartala, assam rifles, central committee members, communist leaders, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, dhar, false excuses, indira gandhi, p chidambaram, party rally, politburo member, prakash karat, public gatherings, public rally, rajiv gandhi, ruling communist party, sitaram yechury, union home minister, union home ministry