CPI-M expels former party MP for indisciplineJune 11th, 2012 - 4:42 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 11 (IANS) Former Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) parliamentarian Anil Basu, who had acquired infamy for his lewd comments against Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, has been expelled on the charge of “grievous indiscipline and anti-party activities”.
The decision to expel Basu from the party comes after he was slapped a three-month suspension for indulging in corruption and nepotism.
A defiant Basu, during his suspension period had called a media conference with his wife Sabita and threatened to file a defamation case against state party secretary Biman Bose.
“A three-member committee was formed to investigate the complaints that were made against Basu. According to the recommendation of this committee, he was suspended from the party for three months April 29. But during the suspension period, he had called a media conference and conducted a grievous indiscipline, which is against the rules of the party,” Bose said in a statement.
“The state committee June 6 recommended his expulsion from the party following his anti-party remarks in public, which is against the rules of the party. The central committee has accepted the recommendation,” said the statement.
Basu, a Hooghly district strongman, is the first heavyweight leader from the state to be expelled from the party following its drubbing in the 2011 assembly polls.
He was earlier dropped from the state committee as a part of the “purification process”, which the CPI-M had started to weed out undesirable elements alleged to be involved in unethical practices.
In the run-up to the assembly elections last year, Basu had called Banerjee names which led to widespread condemnation. This is also believed to have cost the CPI-M a sizeable number of votes.
- CPI-M lacks inner party democracy: Expelled leader - Jun 12, 2012
- Biman Bose may face suit - May 04, 2012
- CPI-M suspends former party MP - May 01, 2012
- Arrest CPI-M leader for 'obscene' comments on Mamata: Trinamool - Apr 23, 2011
- Somnath Chatterjee shares dais with Buddhadeb, Biman - Oct 07, 2010
- CPI-M expels rebel member questioning support to Pranab - Jun 23, 2012
- West Bengal CPI-M unit lashes out against Somnath over autobiography - Jul 26, 2010
- Biman Bose re-elected CPI-M's Bengal state secretary - Feb 19, 2012
- Left has miles to go to regain lost ground (One year of Mamata Banerjee) - May 17, 2012
- Township must be named after Jyoti Basu: Left - Oct 21, 2011
- Basu's birth anniversary celebrated across Bengal - Jul 08, 2011
- Arrest CPI-M leader for 'obscene' comments on Mamata: Trinamool (Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- CPI-M expels 570 cadres in Tripura - Jan 15, 2012
- Mamata scores major points against Left (West Bengal Newsletter) - Aug 04, 2012
- Men who will matter in Mamata's Bengal - May 13, 2011
Tags: assembly elections, assembly polls, biman, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, defamation case, drubbing, hooghly district, indiscipline, lewd comments, mamata banerjee, member committee, party secretary, sabita, sizeable number, state committee, suspension period, trinamool congress chief, undesirable elements, unethical practices