CPI-M asks for a fresh winter sessionOctober 23rd, 2008 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 23 (IANS) The Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Thursday asked the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government to reconvene a full-fledged winter session of parliament in December.The party in a statement said the government’s refusal to convene the monsoon session was “shocking”.
Even the current session, from Oct 17 to Nov 21, was announced as a “continued session” of the July 21-22 special trust vote session, the statement noted.
The statement pointed out that barely after a week into the session, the parliament would again be adjourned Oct 24.
“This exposes the narrow partisan interests which dictated the indefinite postponement of the monsoon session and doing away of the winter session,” the statement said.
So far, both houses have been in session for less than forty days this year, which the CPI-M called as a “gross contempt of parliament”.
The CPI-M politburo demanded a full-fledged winter session to be called in December and “not another farcical continuation of the July 21-22 session”.
In case the government fails to convene a fresh session of the parliament, the party said that it would “consult all other like-minded opposition parties to decide the course of action”.
- CPI-M's easy win in Tripura bypoll - Jun 15, 2012
- CPM for inclusion of prime minister in Lokpal purview (Lead) - Dec 15, 2011
- Reconvene parliament for Lokpal bill, BJP tells Patil (Fourth Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Speaker hopeful of way out, opposition parties stick to stand - Feb 08, 2011
- Karat wants retail FDI decision to be scrapped - Dec 06, 2011
- Lokpal debate in first part of budget session: Bansal - Mar 14, 2012
- Karat calls for fresh trust vote in Karnataka - Oct 12, 2010
- Parliament's monsoon session deferred to Aug 1 (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- BJP tells Patil to reconvene parliament for Lokpal bill (Third Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Maharashtra opposition creates ruckus, assembly adjourned (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Cancel coal blocks, run parliament: CPI-M - Sep 03, 2012
- Lokpal bill to be tabled Dec 27, session extended - Dec 20, 2011
- Parliament's monsoon session delayed, to begin Aug 1 (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Congress eases out Kalmadi and Chavan, hopes Parliament session will be 'productive' - Nov 09, 2010
- Day 6: Dry winter spell continues in parliament (Roundup) - Nov 29, 2011