‘Courts can issue warrants at any stage of trial’October 19th, 2008 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 19 (IANS) The Delhi High Court has ruled that the courts have the absolute power to issue non-bailable warrants (NBWs) at any stage of an investigation into a crime.The high court passed the order on a petition of one Mrigendra Jalan, who sought the dismissal of warrants issued against him February and April 2008 by a magistrate.
Jalan’s counsel Aman Hingorani said that the magistrate had issued a non-bailable warrant before the completion of the investigation. This amounted to the magistrate holding the accused guilty of a crime without completing the trial.
Additional Public Prosecutor Pawan Sharma, contested this, saying a magistrate was fully empowered to secure the presence of an accused who was avoiding arrest.
High court Justice Kailash Gambhir, in his order, said that the court was empowered to issue warrants against any person who was accused of an offence and against whom an FIR (frst information report) has been already been registered.
- CBI seeks fresh warrant to arrest Nupur Talwar - Apr 18, 2012
- Arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar (Third Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Fresh arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar extended (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Arrest warrant against Nirmal Baba stayed - May 23, 2012
- 'Dedicated cops needed for serving court summons' - Jun 25, 2012
- NALCO graft case: Warrants issued against two firm officials - Mar 09, 2011
- Court asks NIA to present Headley May 31 (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Student killing: Four cops sent to judicial custody - Apr 28, 2011
- Navy War Room leak: London court accepts evidence (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Bail plea of former Indian cricketer rejected - Apr 08, 2011
- Nupur Talwar taken into custody (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- No arrest for Nupur Talwar, rules apex court (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- Nupur Talwar moves Supreme Court against warrant (Second Lead) - Apr 12, 2012