Court verdict on CBI probe into doctor’s murder July 14July 12th, 2011 - 11:20 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 12 (IANS) The Lucknow bench of Allahabad High Court has reserved till July 14 its verdict on a plea seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the death of deputy chief medical officer Y.S. Sachan in jail last month.
The division bench comprising Justice Pradeep Kant and Justice Ritu Raj Awasthi Tuesday decided to reserve the judgment on a petition filed by local journalist Sachidanand Gupta.
Sachan’s family has moved the Supreme Court seeking a CBI probe. The apex court would hear the case July 14.
In the high court, Uttar Pradesh government counsel led by Additional Advocate General Jaideep Mathur opposed the petition and insisted that the court could constitute a special investigation team (SIT), including a CBI official, for investigation under its own supervision.
Sachan, the prime accused in chief medical officer B.P. Singh’s murder, was June 22 found dead in mysterious circumstances in the washroom of Lucknow district jail hospital where he was under treatment.
He was found dead just a day before he was to be taken to court with other three accused - Ram Krishna Verma, Anand Tewari and Vinod Sharma.
Jail authorities and police dismissed his death as a case of suicide, amidst demands by Sachan’s family for a CBI inquiry.
The state government last month ordered a judicial inquiry by Lucknow Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) Rajesh Upadhaya.
The CJM submitted his report to the government Monday confirming ‘homicide’ (murder) as the cause Sachan’s death and dismissed the police theory of suicide. The 76-page report blamed the jail authorities for the murder.
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into medical officer's death (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- High Court too orders CBI probe into doctor's murder - Jul 14, 2011
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into medical officer's death (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Doctor's death in jail: Family moves Supreme Court - Jul 07, 2011
- Lucknow jail death: Apex court favours independent probe (Lead) - Jul 08, 2011
- Decision for CBI probe delayed, says Sachan's brother - Jul 13, 2011
- Lucknow custodial death: Supreme Court favours independent probe - Jul 08, 2011
- Supreme Court to hear Sachan death case Friday - Jul 07, 2011
- Doctor's death in jail: Family moves Supreme Court (Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Mayawati orders CBI probe into doctors' killing, medical graft - Jul 20, 2011
- New twist in demand for probe into health mission funds - Jul 25, 2011
- Court rejects plea for CBI probe; Doctor cremated (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2011
- Court rejects CBI probe plea in medical officer's death - Jun 24, 2011
- NRHM scam: CBI registers cases against two officials - Aug 04, 2011
- Lucknow jail in-charge draws flak over Sachan's murder - Jul 01, 2011
Tags: advocate general, apex court, awasthi, b p singh, cbi inquiry, cbi probe, central bureau of investigation, court verdict, district jail, division bench, government counsel, investigation team, jaideep, jail authorities, judicial inquiry, judicial magistrate, mysterious circumstances, ritu raj, tewari, vinod sharma