Court upholds robbery charge but sets convict freeJune 18th, 2009 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 18 (IANS) A man convicted for a robbery committed 17 years ago was set free by the Delhi High Court, which observed that he had “assimilated himself into the mainstream society” and it would not be fair to keep him along with hardened criminals.
“The appellant (convict Kadir) has assimilated himself in the mainstream society as a useful citizen and sending him to jail to serve the remaining sentence with hardcore criminals would serve no purpose,” Justice G.S. Sistani said.
The court, however, upheld a lower court’s verdict convicting Kadir for looting a Haryana-based man here May on 14, 1992.
“I do not consider it appropriate asking the appellant to undergo the remaining period of sentence in jail after facing the ordeal of trial for over 17 years,” the order said.
The court dismissed the appeal of Kadir filed against his conviction and a sentence of three years but granted him relief by not asking him to undergo the remaining jail term.
A First Information Report was lodged by victim Sunil Gauba alleging that he was robbed of his bag, cash over Rs.3,000 and other objects at Seelampur in northeast Delhi at knife point.
Kadir and three others were arrested on May 15, 1992.
The lower court convicted Kadir in 2000 but acquitted three others for want of evidence.
- Supreme Court decries abuse of court process by criminals - Apr 01, 2012
- Sukh Ram's three-year jail term upheld in graft case (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Sukh Ram's surrender put off by court till Friday (Third Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Seven officials jailed for fraudulent land allocation - Sep 03, 2012
- Highlights of judgment on Shivani Bhatnagar murder - Oct 12, 2011
- Two President's Bodyguards get life term for rape - Aug 24, 2012
- Five years jail for Sukh Ram in third graft conviction - Nov 19, 2011
- Three year jail for Mumbai hit-and-run convict: Apex court (Third Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Plot to abduct Sachin: Eight-year jail terms for six (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Salman told to appear in court in poaching case - Aug 09, 2011
- MCD engineer's jail term reduced to one year - Feb 16, 2011
- Mumbai hit-and-run: Alistair Pereira sent to jail - Jan 20, 2012
- Former Delhi judge awarded 3-year jail for graft - Apr 28, 2012
- Bail to Chisty comes at a significant time, says nephew - Apr 09, 2012
- (HOLD) Delay in appeal outcome no ground for exoneration in murder: SC - Sep 08, 2012