Court upholds MCD commissioner, police officer’s divorceNovember 24th, 2008 - 10:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 24 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Monday turned down a plea by senior police officer Vimla Mehra to save her marriage with Delhi municipal Commissioner K.S. Mehra and upheld a lower court’s decision to grant them divorce.Dismissing Vimla Mehra’s plea, Justice V.B. Gupta stated in his 119-page order that if divorce is not granted, it would be a cruelty to K.S. Mehra.
K.S. Mehra, an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of the 1978 batch, and Vimla Mehra, an Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of the same batch, got married in November 1978 and have two children.
Their ties started worsening when Vimla Mehra objected to her brother-in-law’s family staying with them at their official Ashoka Road residence after his death.
In October 1997, a city court granted divorce to them after K.S. Mehra, currently serving as commissioner of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), alleged harassment and ego clashes between them.
Vimla Mehra, currently serving as managing director of Delhi Police Housing Corporation, challenged the court ruling and stated that they do not have any major rift between them.
The Delhi High Court upheld the divorce, stating that since they were living separately since 1998, there was no ground to save their marriage.
- MCD never formed panel to check unsafe buildings: RTI activist - Nov 17, 2010
- MCD suspends drive against illegal hotels in Paharganj - Nov 24, 2010
- MCD to launch anti-dengue drive - Jul 25, 2011
- Rescue operations on at Delhi building collapse site - May 18, 2011
- Court summons MCD chief over zoo flooding threat - Jul 13, 2011
- Congress trying to save guilty building owner: BJP - Nov 18, 2010
- MCD schools asked to implement quota for poor - Feb 02, 2011
- Delhi High Court upholds divorce of retired IPS officer - Dec 18, 2008
- Law to regulate hawking rights soon - Nov 01, 2010
- Seven killed when building collapses in Old Delhi, India - Sep 28, 2011
- MCD deflects blame on ghost employees fiasco - Jun 02, 2011
- Delhi civic body tightens anti-tobacco measures - Jul 15, 2011
- High court issues notice to Bukhari, ASI (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Delhi's mosquito breeding checkers call off strike - Sep 09, 2010
- Park your vehicle using a mobile phone - Feb 08, 2011